Dist admn, police go soft on sale of Chinese kite strings
A day after a city resident was killed in an accident caused by Chinese kite string followed by appeals made by the deceased's kin, residents and various NGOs to stop its sale, the district administration and police are yet to initiate a concrete action in this connection.punjab Updated: Jan 14, 2014 21:21 IST
A day after a city resident was killed in an accident caused by Chinese kite string followed by appeals made by the deceased's kin, residents and various NGOs to stop its sale, the district administration and police are yet to initiate a concrete action in this connection.
The string caused the death of 55-year-old Bhim Singh on Monday morning when he was returning home on his motorcycle with his wife after paying obeisance at the Golden Temple.
The motorcycle lost balance after the couple got entangled in a Chinese kite string as a result of which Bhim Singh fell down. His head hit the footpath, resulting in his death. His wife Harjit Kaur sustained head injuries.
Singh and his relative had had a narrow escape in a similar incident almost a year ago.
Members of Mission Aagaaz, an NGO working on environmental issues, met the district police authorities on Tuesday seeking a complete ban on the sale of the dangerous string, also known as dragon dor.
The string has caused injuries to many, while a few had a close shave with death.
A day after Bhim Singh's tragic death, the district administration and the police have not initiated any action in this regard, except a handful of bundles of kite strings recovered after a few raids conducted across the city over a period of one month.
Only a few cases have been registered against the sellers of these deadly kite strings.
Despite claims of conducting regular raids and initiating action against the sellers, the police and the district administration have so far registered only 13 cases against such sellers and recovered 460 string rolls in the past one month.
Ironically, the district administration had imposed a ban on the sale of the Chinese string under Section 144 of the CrPC, but to no avail.
Dr Avtar Singh, chief orthopedic surgeon, Amandeep Hospital, said the hospital had received at least seven cases of injuries caused by the Chinese string in the past few days, some of which were critical.
"One of the victims was in a very critical condition since he had received a deep wound on his neck. However, he was saved by timely medical intervention," he said.
Dr Singh said, "Since the string is made of plastic instead of cotton, it poses threat beyond injury. It also contributes to environmental pollution," he said.
Amritsar deputy commissioner Ravi Bhagat said serious efforts were being made to curb the sale of this hazardous kite string.
"I have also written to the principal secretary, home, Punjab, to ban its sale at the government level," said the DC. The district administration has already constituted teams to conduct raids to check the sale of the Chinese kite string, he added.
Little action on ground
Even as the district administration has imposed a ban on the sale of the Chinese string under Section 144 of the CrPC, but to little avail
The police and district administration have so far registered only 13 cases against the sellers of Chinese kite string and recovered 460 bundles of string in the past one month
55-year-old Bhim Singh died on Monday after he got entangled in Chinese string when he was returning home on his motorcycle with his wife
Dr BS Bhatia, a pediatrician and a resident of Ranjit Avenue, got his collarbone fractured on September 24 last year when he was going on his bike on the elevated road in the walled city area
First Published: Jan 14, 2014 21:20 IST