Darbar box office: Film ends up as a colossal flop, distributors plan to approach Rajinikanth
Actor Rajinikanth’s latest Tamil release Darbar has disappointed big time at the box-office, according to trade sources. The film, directed by AR Murugadoss, has incurred heavy losses for its distributors who’ve now decided to meet the 70-year-old veteran for compensation.
“Distributors across various districts have suffered heavy losses as the film didn’t even recover its investment cost let alone earning profits. It was a consensus decision to meet Rajinikanth as he’d understand the situation and compensate for the losses. The plan is to meet him over the weekend at his residence,” a distributor, on the condition of anonymity, told Hindustan Times.
The distributor further added that the decision to meet Rajinikanth was taken after Lyca Productions, the makers of Darbar, didn’t react to the situation put forth by the distributors.
Made on a budget of Rs 200 crore which includes Rs 108 crore salary of Rajinikanth, Darbar has been adjudged a disaster despite collecting around Rs 250 crore worldwide.
Darbar stars Rajinikanth in the role of an angry cop who sets out to avenge his daughter. The film marked the maiden collaboration of Rajinikanth and filmmaker AR Murugadoss, who is best known for helming Ghajini and Kaththi. It marked the return of Rajinikanth in the role of a cop after 25 years.
Darbar also features Nayanthara, Suniel Shetty, Prateik Babbar, Nivetha Thomas and Yogi Babu in key roles. The film has music by Anirudh Ravichander while Santosh Sivan has cranked the camera.
Meanwhile, Rajinikanth is currently shooting for his next Tamil project with director Siva. The yet-untitled family drama also stars Keerthy Suresh, Khushbu and Meena in important roles. The project has music by D Imman and being bankrolled by Sun Pictures.
Siva, known for films such as Veeram and Viswasam, has teamed up with Rajinikanth for the first time. The film is tipped to be a rural-based action drama.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Saina Nehwal has praised the teaser of her biopic Saina, which features Parineeti Chopra as the noted badminton player.
- Kareena Kapoor took to Instagram to wish Saif Ali Khan's son Ibrahim Ali Khan as he turned 20. She shared a photo of him from a recent shoot.
- Coming 2 America movie review: Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall reunite for the dull and boring sequel to their cult hit.
- Mandira Bedi has put up her Madh Island house on Airbnb. The actor has reportedly been working tirelessly to refurbish the place before letting it out. See pictures here.
- Gauahar Khan's father died on Friday after being admitted in a hospital for several days. The agctor had been posting about him as she kept close to him in his last days.
- Nikki Tamboli, Jaan Kumar Sanu, Pavitra Punia and Eijaz Khan came together for Naina Singh's birthday bash on Friday.
- Sonam Kapoor has shared several throwback pictures with sister Rhea Kapoor while wishing her on her birthday on Friday.
- Ananya Panday on Thursday shared a picture with her team mates from Liger as they all went for dinner together. See her picture here. Liger stars Ananya and Vijay Deverakonda in the lead.
- Anita Hassanandani has shared two cute videos on her Instagram Stories in which she can be seen pampering her son, Aaravv.
- Sara Ali Khan took to Instagram to wish her brother Ibrahim Ali Khan on his birthday on Friday. See his specially designed football-shaped cake.
- Rubina Dilaik was extremely angry and fought with Rakhi Sawant when she got to know about the incident. Abhinav has now said that the reaction made him feel a 'sense of belonging'.
- Kangana Ranaut has posted a video from the sets of Tejas in which she can be seen training on a net. She plays an Indian Air Force pilot in the film.