UPDATED ON JUL 30, 2021 02:02 PM IST
- The 23-year-old Assam boxer Lovlina Borgohain was smiling ear-to-ear after making the semi-finals but also well aware that the task is only half done.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 30, 2021 01:56 PM IST
- While cricket is not an Olympic sport yet, Indian cricketers, both past and present, have been cheering for the Indian athletes who are participating in the ongoing Tokyo Olympics.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 30, 2021 01:52 PM IST
- The 12th seed, a former top-10 player who has struggled for consistency in the last three seasons, produced an impressive display in Tokyo to dispatch Carreno Busta 6-3, 6-3.
By hindustantimes.com, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON JUL 30, 2021 12:50 PM IST
Here are today’s top news, analysis and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 30, 2021 12:16 PM IST
PUBLISHED ON JUL 30, 2021 12:13 PM IST
- Vitalina Batsarashkina won gold in women’s 10-meter air pistol at the Tokyo Olympics on Sunday, shortly after Salukvadze said she will not return for a 10th Olympics.
PTI | , Tokyo
PUBLISHED ON JUL 30, 2021 12:07 PM IST
Deepika misfired four 7s as An, who had broken a 25-year-old Olympic record en route to topping the ranking round, wrapped up the women's individual match 6-0 in less than six minutes.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 30, 2021 11:25 AM IST
- Women's singles number three seed Nozomi Okuhara crashed out in the quarterfinals, losing 13-21, 21-13, 21-14 to Chinese number eight seed He Bingjiao.
PTI | , Tokyo
UPDATED ON JUL 30, 2021 11:25 AM IST
The three athletes include US pole vaulter Sam Kendricks, a two-time world champion, who on Thursday pulled out of the Games after testing positive for the virus.
Reuters | , Tokyo [japan]
PUBLISHED ON JUL 30, 2021 11:24 AM IST
Japan won its first-ever mixed-doubles bronze medal on Friday when Yuta Watanabe and Arisa Higashino, who have played together for a decade, took out Hong Kong's Tang Chun Man and Tse Ying Suet 21-17 23-21 in a tight match.
UPDATED ON JUL 30, 2021 11:59 AM IST
Needing a win to keep their hopes alive after three consecutive losses, India waited anxiously for 57 minutes before Navneet Kaur scored the winner to keep her side in the hunt for a quarterfinal berth.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 30, 2021 11:03 AM IST
Simone Biles, who withdrew from the team and all-around competition because she felt she wasn't mentally prepared, said she started struggling with her air awareness after qualifying last Sunday.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 30, 2021 10:54 AM IST
- Evgeny Rylov said he was "surprised" by Ryan Murphy's comments, which he described as "strange".
By Avishek Roy
UPDATED ON JUL 30, 2021 10:48 AM IST
- Tokyo Olympics: "You can make history for India," the Indian women's boxing coach Raffaello Bergamesco said to her between the rounds and yet again Borgohain took control of the third to romp home to a win.
UPDATED ON JUL 30, 2021 10:36 AM IST
- Emma McKeon set a new Olympic record of 51.96sec ahead of Hong Kong's Siobhan Haughey, who timed 52.27, and fellow Australian Cate Campbell (52.52).
UPDATED ON JUL 30, 2021 10:25 AM IST
- A government panel approved the plan putting Saitama, Kanagawa and Chiba, as well as Osaka, under the state of emergency from Monday until August 31.
UPDATED ON JUL 30, 2021 10:01 AM IST
It was a split decision win for Lovlina but it was amply clear after the last round that she had prevailed over her opponent.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 30, 2021 08:37 AM IST
Bhaker shot 290 in the rapid fire stage of the qualifications for a total of 582, a day after scoring 290 in precision at the Akasa Shooting Range, while the more experienced Sarnobat managed 573 (287 286).
PUBLISHED ON JUL 30, 2021 08:15 AM IST
- Tokyo Olympics: Schoenmaker timed 2min 18.95sec to better the 2:19.11 set by Denmark's Rikke Moller Pedersen in 2013.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 30, 2021 07:31 AM IST
The 26-year-old Sable clocked 8 minutes 18.12 seconds in heat number 2 to finish seventh and better his earlier national record of 8:20.20 that he set during the Federation Cup in March.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 30, 2021 07:19 AM IST
- Mirabai Chanu, who returned to her hometown of Imphal on Tuesday after winning silver in women's 49kg category, tweeted a picture of herself enjoying home-cooked meal after two long years.
UPDATED ON JUL 30, 2021 07:06 AM IST
Tokyo 2020: Starting off the one-arrow shoot-off, the Russian crumbled under pressure as she misfired a seven while a composed Deepika sealed the issue 6-5 (10-7) without any fuss.
UPDATED ON JUL 30, 2021 02:10 PM IST
- Tokyo Olympics live updates Day 7: Lovlina Borgohain assured India a medal in boxing welterweight. The women's hockey team defeated Ireland. PV Sindhu faces Akane Yamaguchi in the quarterfinals.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 30, 2021 12:02 AM IST
- While all eyes would be on archer Deepika Kumari, shuttler PV Sindhu and boxer Lovlina Borgohain to take a step closer to ensuring medals for India, it's also finally time to Indian athletics to make its presence felt at the Olympic Games.
By Sharad Deep
UPDATED ON JUL 29, 2021 11:50 PM IST
- Tokyo 2020: Much before Kumar became the first Indian in an Olympic super heavyweight bout his friends and fans had gathered in front of his house, many of them after praying at the village’s Baba Devi temple. Singh and his wife too had prayed there and were keeping a fast till the bout ended.
By Avishek Roy
UPDATED ON JUL 29, 2021 11:43 PM IST
- Tokyo 2020: After Thursday’s 51kg Round of 16 tie bout, the Colombian won 3-2, Kom raised her hand, bowed in all four directions, and hugged Valencia, who then raised Kom’s hand.
By Sandip Sikdar, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON JUL 29, 2021 11:37 PM IST
The win is significant, especially after the 1-7 debacle against Australia on Sunday, as it cements India’s second position in Group A behind the world No.1 outfit.