Latest from xi jinping
- Xi, who hasn’t left China since the coronavirus emerged in early 2020, said his country has exported more than 2 billion doses of its Covid-19 vaccines to over 120 countries and international institutions.
Updated on Jan 17, 2022 11:42 PM IST
AP | , Geneva
- Xi’s physical absence from the world stage has come under focus and criticism, especially, his decision not to attend the G20 Summit and COP26
Published on Jan 10, 2022 03:19 PM IST
The Chinese import sanction on tiny Lithuania is a veiled threat to other members of the European Union (EU) not to question Beijing. Fact is that the Xi Jinping regime is targeting global supply chains to punish a small country.
Updated on Jan 09, 2022 12:26 PM IST
Shishir Gupta, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Xi Jinping's rise has hardened Chinese foreign policy, with the country becoming more aggressive at the east and west borders.
Published on Dec 24, 2021 09:48 PM IST
ANI | , New Delhi
Extensive discussions on foreign policy, in view of rising global tensions on the Russia-Ukraine border, are likely to come up on Wednesday in the virtual meeting between Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping.
Updated on Dec 15, 2021 07:28 AM IST
Written by Joydeep Bose | Edited by Amit Chaturvedi, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
China was left out of the two-day virtual summit – along with countries including Russia and Hungary – and responded by angrily accusing US President Joe Biden of stoking Cold War-era ideological divides.
Updated on Dec 11, 2021 10:07 AM IST
Canada is the latest country to join the diplomatic boycott of the Beijing Winter Olympics, first initiated by the United States. The two other countries are Australia and the United Kingdom.
Published on Dec 09, 2021 02:10 PM IST
Written by Joydeep Bose | Edited by Avik Roy, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
- More than half of those include 71 Uyghur journalists, according to the report. Since 2016, in the name of the "fight against terrorism", the Beijing regime has been conducting a violent campaign against the Uyghurs.
Updated on Dec 09, 2021 09:16 AM IST
Canberra's decision to join the US diplomatic boycott of the Beijing Olympics comes amid “disagreement” with China over a slew of issues that have plunged relations into the most serious crisis since the Tiananmen Square crackdown in 1989.
Updated on Dec 08, 2021 09:39 AM IST
Written by Joydeep Bose | Edited by Poulomi Ghosh, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Canberra's decision comes amid “disagreement” with China over a number of issues, including Australia's foreign interference laws and a recent decision to acquire nuclear-powered submarines, Morrison said.
Updated on Dec 08, 2021 07:17 AM IST
- Just as China has deployed over 82 intermediate range missile launchers towards Taiwan and Guam, it has deployed long range missiles in Tibet to pressurize India and Bhutan.
Published on Dec 02, 2021 12:24 PM IST
- Some press freedom groups say the ruling Chinese Communist Party has tightened control over media since Chinese President Xi Jinping took office in 2012.
Published on Nov 29, 2021 07:28 PM IST
China would never seek hegemony nor take advantage of its size to coerce smaller countries, and would work with ASEAN to eliminate “interference”, Xi, was quoted by Chinese official media as saying.
Updated on Nov 23, 2021 01:59 AM IST
, Hindustan Times, BeijingSutirtho Patranobis
The Washington DC-Beijing rivalry is structural. The conversation between Joe Biden and Xi Jinping did not change that
Updated on Nov 17, 2021 11:46 AM IST
- "President Biden raised concerns about the PRC's (Chinese communist party) practices in Xinjiang, Tibet, and Hong Kong, as well as human rights more broadly," the White House said in a readout after the virtual Biden-Xi summit.
Updated on Nov 16, 2021 11:19 AM IST
- The summit comes amid the rising tension between the United States and China over a number of issues including trade, the South China Sea, human rights violations in Hong Kong and military aggression against Taiwan, and more.
Published on Nov 16, 2021 09:14 AM IST
- The two leaders have spoken by phone twice since Biden's inauguration in January but with Xi refusing to travel abroad because of the pandemic, an online video meeting was the only option short of an in-person summit.
Updated on Nov 16, 2021 06:58 AM IST
The White House is setting low expectations for the video call between the leaders.
Published on Nov 12, 2021 10:59 PM IST
While China under President Xi will ratchet pressure on Taiwan in the coming months, it is will tighten its grip on the Af-Pak region for its energy security through client state Pakistan.
Updated on Nov 12, 2021 01:35 PM IST
Shishir Gupta, New Delhi
Published on Nov 11, 2021 11:31 PM IST
- Xi also said the region should make sure to keep supply lines functioning and to continue liberalizing trade and investment.
Updated on Nov 13, 2021 06:12 AM IST
AP | , Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Published on Nov 11, 2021 05:09 PM IST
Published on Nov 10, 2021 12:10 AM IST
Cutting through CPC jargon and clutter, at the end of the four-day meeting on Thursday, Xi is expected to emerge as a leader at par with Mao and Deng.
Updated on Nov 09, 2021 06:37 AM IST
, Hindustan Times, New DelhiSutirtho Patranobis
Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion at 9am. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
Published on Nov 08, 2021 08:57 AM IST
hindustantimes.com, New Delhi, Hindustan Times
This year’s plenum will be conducted by the current 19th Central Committee, which was elected in 2017 and will remain until late 2022 when the next party Congress will be held.
Updated on Nov 08, 2021 11:59 AM IST
, Hindustan Times, New DelhiSutirtho Patranobis
The only such meeting this year paves the way to its 20th party congress next autumn -- at which Xi is widely expected to be handed a third term in office, cementing his position as China's most powerful leader since Mao Zedong.
Published on Nov 06, 2021 10:37 AM IST
In July 2020, Washington told China to shutter its consulate in Houston, prompting Beijing to retaliate with an order for a US diplomatic facility in the southwestern city of Chengdu to close.
Published on Nov 05, 2021 10:10 PM IST
- For the first time, China has spelt out punishment for people deemed to be in favour of Taiwan’s independence.
Published on Nov 05, 2021 04:16 PM IST
hindustantimes.com | Edited by Kunal Gaurav
The US is also seeking to make progress on trade and climate issues, as well as start a bilateral nuclear weapons dialogue -- something Beijing has resisted.
Published on Nov 05, 2021 02:29 PM IST