...
...
Next Story

India lodges 'strong protest' with US over attacks on Indian-crewed ships, envoy summoned again

A second Indian commercial vessel was attacked in Oman on Thursday despite last week's warnings regarding a similar attack

Updated on: Jun 12, 2026, 18:35:11 IST
Advertisement

India on Friday summoned the most senior American diplomat in New Delhi for the second time this week to protest attacks by US forces on merchant vessels in West Asia that have killed three Indian seafarers, reflecting growing public anger over the issue.

US chargé d’affaires Jason Meeks summoned again to MEA by additional secretary (Americas) Nagaraj Naidu for protest against attacks on commercial vessels with Indian crew members (Representational/PTI)
US chargé d’affaires Jason Meeks summoned again to MEA by additional secretary (Americas) Nagaraj Naidu for protest against attacks on commercial vessels with Indian crew members (Representational/PTI)

US chargé d'affaires Jason Meeks was summoned to the external affairs ministry at around 2 pm and additional secretary (Americas) Nagaraj Naidu registered a strong protest over the US attacks that continued even after Meeks had been summoned on Wednesday, people familiar with the matter said.

“A strong protest was lodged with [Meeks] regarding the continuing attacks by US naval forces on commercial vessels carrying Indian mariners in the Gulf of Oman, which have already resulted in the tragic and avoidable loss of three Indian lives,” the external affairs ministry said in a statement.

The ministry again conveyed its deep concern over the “use of lethal and deadly force” against civilian shipping. “Such actions are unacceptable and undermine the safety, security and stability of international maritime commerce in a sensitive region at a difficult time,” the statement said.

The summoning came a day after US forces targeted MT Jalveer, a tanker with 20 Indian crew members, off Shinas port in Oman on Thursday. Meeks was at the ministry for almost 40 minutes, the people said.

The US Central Command has said it took action to disable three vessels this week – MT Marivex on June 8, MT Settebello on June 9 and MT Jalveer on June 11 – because they were trying to violate the US blockade of Iranian ports. A US combat aircraft fired two Hellfire missiles into Jalveer’s engine room to disable it.

None of three vessels were Indian-flagged – Marivex and Settebello were Palau-flagged while Jalveer was Guinea-Bissau-flagged – but all had Indian crew members.

Three Indian crew members of Settebello who were reported missing were confirmed dead on Thursday, hours after US forces struck Jalveer. Among the dead was Aditya Sharma, a 23-year-old resident of Himachal Pradesh who was a deck cadet or apprentice training to become a licenced ship officer.

Omani armed forces rescued more than 60 Indian crew members from the three vessels, including 24 from Marivex, 21 from Settebello, and 20 from Jalveer.

The external affairs ministry had issued a statement on Wednesday to condemn the strike on Settebello though it didn't say who was behind the attack.

Public anger has grown over the attacks by the US – India's partner in the Quad grouping and a strategic partner in efforts to ensure an open and free Indo-Pacific – especially after the deaths of the three seafarers. Former foreign secretary, in a social media post, called for pressure to be mounted on the US instead of any defence of “its action at the cost of Indian lives”.

He added, “Whatever the sins of Iran, the US blockade is illegal.” Sibal also noted that the US Central Command had expressed “no regret” over the death of Indian seamen.

 
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Rezaul H Laskar

Rezaul Hasan Laskar is Foreign Editor with the Hindustan Times, which he joined in 2015. He began as a journalist in his hometown of Shillong in northeast India and has worked in newspapers and wire services over the years. He moved to New Delhi in 1997 and initially focused on defence, national security, Jammu and Kashmir and the northeast, while also working of foreign policy and international relations. He has been part of the media delegation accompanying PMs on foreign visits and has reported from destinations ranging from Tibet to Ukraine. Between 2007 and 2013, he was the Press Trust of India correspondent in Pakistan, one of only two Indian journalists allowed to report from the country. He extensively covered Pakistan’s domestic politics and the life of the common people, as well as the fallout of the 2008 Mumbai attacks on India-Pakistan relations and the subsequent trial in Pakistan of the suspects involved in the attack. As part of his reportage in Pakistan, he travelled the breadth of the country, from the Swat Valley to Balochistan. Reza’s first gig in journalism was writing a weekly music column, and music – especially classic rock – remains a keen interest. He is also a movie buff and a keen photographer.

Get the latest World News, breaking headlines and global updates from the US, UK, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Russia and other countries. Follow major international events on Hindustan Times.
Get the latest World News, breaking headlines and global updates from the US, UK, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Russia and other countries. Follow major international events on Hindustan Times.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Hindustantimes wants to start sending you push notifications. Click allow to subscribe