Prince Harry and six others were reportedly ordered on Friday to pay an initial 9.5 million pounds, which amounts to $13 million, to the publisher of Britain’s Daily Mail newspaper.

Justice Matthew Nicklin, in a judgment on Friday, said that the payment will be made by August 28, according to AP. This order came following their failed invasion of privacy case.
Also Read | Elizabeth Hurley describes 'monstrous' privacy invasion by Daily Mail in British media hacking case
What the judge said
Nicklin was critical of the way the claimants' case had been put.
"In my judgment, the cumulative effect of these matters takes the case well outside the norm. The conduct was unreasonable to a high degree," Reuters quoted Nicklin as saying.
What happened in court?
The claimants lost a High Court case in London after alleging malpractice, including illegal phone hacking, by Associated Newspapers, which owns Daily Mail. The publisher stated it accumulated cost of over £34 million during the case. The remainder of the costs will have to be reimbursed by a later date by the claimants, who are insured for around half that total, said the court, according to AP.
The publisher strongly denied the allegations during the 11-week trial, which ended on July 7. Nicklin said there was insufficient evidence to support the claims and found that the reporting may have come from legitimate sources.
{{/usCountry}}The publisher strongly denied the allegations during the 11-week trial, which ended on July 7. Nicklin said there was insufficient evidence to support the claims and found that the reporting may have come from legitimate sources.
{{/usCountry}}The remainder of the costs will have to be reimbursed later by the claimants, who are insured for around half that total, the AP report said.
Also Read | Prince Harry and Meghan Markle planning to relocate to UK with family: Report
High-profile names in the case
The high-profile figures in the case are:
Prince Harry, King Charles' younger son
Politician Simon Hughes
Elton John's film producer husband David Furnish
Doreen Lawrence, anti‑racism activist
Actors Sadie Frost and Liz Hurley
Harry and a history with tabloids
The AP report stated that Harry blames the press for the death of Princess Diana, his mother. She died in a car crash as she was being pursued by paparazzi in Paris.
Notably, he won a judgment in 2023 that condemned the publishers of the Daily Mirror for “widespread and habitual” phone hacking.
Harry, Meghan moving back to UK
According to the report, this ruling of the court comes just two days after the reports surfaced that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are moving back to the UK.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, his wife, are no longer working royals.