Filmmaker Anurag Kashyap has come out in support of his director friend Karan Johar and said he wonders how can banning Pakistani actors from Bollywood curb terrorism.
In the wake of Uri attack, last week MNS threatened Pakistani artistes like Fawad Khan and Mahira Khan to leave India, saying otherwise the shooting of their films would be stalled.
They also demanded a ban on Pakistani artists working in the Indian film industry.
The Raman Raghav 2.0 helmer, who previously collaborated with Johar on films like Bombay Velvet and Shaandaar, said he wants to know the “next five steps” which will be taken if the Pakistani actors are banned from Bollywood. “Karan Johar said a very good thing. If you want to send Fawad Khan back, okay send him but what are the next five steps you’ll take? You tell me, what are the next five steps you will take after that?
“What problems will be solved after sending him? What will be your next step after sending him. At least tell us what are your next five steps,” Kashyap told reporters here when asked to comment on the issue.
The filmmaker was speaking at a special ‘in conversation with’ event at the ongoing 7th edition of Jagran Film Festival.
Recently Johar had said that though he understands the anger among people due to the aftermath of the attack, he did not see the idea of banning actors from Pakistan as a solution to terrorism. “There is nothing that can justify this terrible feeling of terror. (But) then you are faced in a situation such as this (asking for ban on Pak artistes). If this was truly a solution, one would take it. But this is not a solution. I don’t believe it is. The larger forces have to come together and sort the situation and this cannot be banning talent or art,” Johar had said.
Queen fame director Vikas Bahl, too, has said he is not sure whether the demand to ban Pakistani artistes from working in India will solve any problem: “I want to just know that if the step that we are taking is towards solving the problem...What is the next step after they leave the country?”
His comments came after the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) issued an “ultimatum” to all Pakistani artistes to quit India within 48 hours or face trouble. MNS had issued the ultimatum on September 23 to all Pakistani cine and television artistes to leave India. The threat was issued after the September 18 terror attack that left 18 Indian soldiers dead at Uri in Jammu and Kashmir.
Follow @htshowbiz for more