Chaitanya Tamhane’s Court is India’s official entry to Oscars
Chaitanya Tamhane’s multilingual film Court is India’s official entry to the 88th Academy Awards. The critically acclaimed multilingual film won the National Award for best film this year, and bagged the Lion of the Future Award for best first feature and the best film in the Orizzonti or Horizons category at the 71st Venice International Film Festival. The Oscar ceremony will be held on February 28, 2016.
The film is based on the life of ballad singer Jeetan Marandi. The Jharkhand activist was slapped with a case for his alleged links with Left wing extremists and Court is also about an abetment to suicide case against Lok Shahir Narayan Kamble (played by Veera Sathidar), a ballad singer, in a lower court in Mumbai. The film also stars Gitanjali Kulkarni and Vivek Gomber.
The film was widely appreciated for its realism, Tamhane’s brilliant use of camera, the non-judgemental way in which he dealt with the sensitive issues at hand and the authentic, believable performance of the actors.
It was earlier reported that films like Salman Khan’s Bajrangi Bhaijaan, Prabhas’ Bahubali, Amitabh Bachchan and Deepika Padukone’s Piku, Aamir Khan’s PK and Shahid Kapoor’s Haider were the favourites as India’s entry to Oscar this year.
Read: Court review
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sara Ali Khan is in Jaipur. While she hasn't mentioned the reason behind her visit, it appears that she is in the pink city for a wedding. Sara and Manish Malhotra shared many pictures from the venue.
- Yami Gautam had previously opened up about a prolonged neck injury that affected her routine life. The actor has now detailed in on a road accident that left her with the injury.
- Sisters Malaika Arora and Amrita Arora posted pictures of their mom to wish her on her birthday and close friend Karisma Kapoor was among the first ones to comment.
- Akshay Kumar presented the first poster of Ahan Shetty's debut film, Tadap. Ahan is the son of actor Suniel Shetty. The film also stars Tara Sutaria. See the poster here.
- John Abraham posed for a slightly different picture on Tuesday. He was seen posing with nothing but a pillow as he waited for his clothes on film sets.
- Anushka Sharma gave fans a look at the view of the sea from her Mumbai home. Anushka has been enjoying life as a new mother since welcoming daughter Vamika in January.
- Bipasha Basu has shared Bipapictures of herself and a funny video of her husband Karan Singh Grover from their Maldives vacation. Check them out here.
- Happy birthday Tiger Shroff: If you thought the Baaghi's star's features were hard to define and did not fit into the more desi definition of good looks, then you must read about his family background.
- Deepika Padukone, in her new Instagram post, talked about her daily routine. She also revealed whether she '(plans) a lot'. Watch the video here.
- Arshi Khan has said that Salman Khan introduced her to Iulia Vantur at the Bigg Boss 14 after-party, and said that he wants her to learn Urdu.