Despite similar character names and plot, Varun Dhawan denies Kalank is copied from a book
There were reports that Karan Johar’s upcoming production Kalank is inspired by author Shauna Singh Baldwin’s 1999 book What the Body Remembers, but actor Varun Dhawan believes the film’s premise is not similar to the book. After the film’s trailer was unveiled, fans pointed out similarities between the film’s plot and the book, which chronicles the story of love and loss with partition as a backdrop.
Both the film and the book feature story about two women getting married to the same man. The first wife cannot bear children and the man marries a young girl from the village. The names of the characters played by Alia Bhatt (Roop) and Sonakshi Sinha (Satya) in the film are also similar to the book.
When asked about the plot similarities, Varun told reporters, “I have not read that book, I haver no knowledge about that. But I don’t think the premise is the same because our actual premise has not yet opened in the promos. Yes, there is a love story but the film is a lot more than that.” The actor said there are several layers to the story which will be revealed only when the film releases.
“Once people watch it they can make up their mind about that. But as far as I know, Karan had this story for a very long time which he wanted me to do.” Varun said having the same character names could be a coincidence.
“I don’t know about the character names, it could be a coincidence. No one will be that stupid, that even if one had to copy, they would change names, why would the names be retained?” He was speaking at an event of Ishq 104.8 FM.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Film producer Rhea Kapoor got love from a number of Bollywood beauties including Kareena Kapoor, Malaika Arora, Karisma Kapoor on her birthday.
Kunal Kemmu: We will have to wait and gauge the appetite of audiences to watch films on the big screen
- TV host Rannvijay Singha took to Instagram to post a cute family picture with wife Prianka and daughter Kainaat to make the announcement.
- Saina Nehwal has praised the teaser of her biopic Saina, which features Parineeti Chopra as the noted badminton player.
- Kareena Kapoor took to Instagram to wish Saif Ali Khan's son Ibrahim Ali Khan as he turned 20. She shared a photo of him from a recent shoot.
- Mandira Bedi has put up her Madh Island house on Airbnb. The actor has reportedly been working tirelessly to refurbish the place before letting it out. See pictures here.
- Gauahar Khan's father died on Friday after being admitted in a hospital for several days. The actor had been posting about him as she kept close to him in his last days.
- Anil Kapoor and Sonam Kapoor has shared several throwback pictures with Rhea Kapoor while wishing her on her birthday on Friday.
- Ananya Panday on Thursday shared a picture with her team mates from Liger as they all went for dinner together. See her picture here. Liger stars Ananya and Vijay Deverakonda in the lead.
- Sara Ali Khan took to Instagram to wish her brother Ibrahim Ali Khan on his birthday on Friday. See his specially designed football-shaped cake.