Shubh Mangal Zayada Saavdhan director on Ayushmann Khurrana-Jitu K’s kiss: ‘No question of hiding any bit of film’
Ayushmann Khurrana’s upcoming film Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan focuses on same-sex love and the film’s director Hitesh Kewalya says he understood his audience only after writing Shubh Mangal Saavdhan, Ayushmann’s first film in the series that addressed the issue of erectile dysfunction.
Hitesh told Mid Day in an interview, “This film takes on homophobia; it holds a mirror to society and its need to box us into gender identities. How can we, as a society, pick out a certain kind of love and say that it must be banished? Why is this non-issue being made into an issue?”
Hitesh also claimed that putting the kiss between his lead actors in the trailer itself was a conscious decision. “There was no question of hiding any bit of the film. We wanted to play on the front foot. Why shouldn’t we? After Shubh Mangal Saavdhan [that he wrote the dialogues for], we understood the audience we were dealing with. We are sure about our story, and are going all out with the hope that society changes, one film at a time,” he told the tabloid.
Talking about the much-talked about kiss, Jitendra had recently said, “I am a reserved person, but Ayushmann made me comfortable. He is easy to work with and is quite friendly.”
“People are scared despite the decriminalisation [of Section 377]. Sexuality is rarely discussed in films anyway. Initially, Ayushmann and Jitu [Jitendra Kumar] had their share of guffaws, but four scenes later, they were professionals and have created a couple that people will root for,” he added.
He also said he took the route of comedy as it helps people opne up on difficult conversations. “The gay community has rarely been portrayed with the dignity and respect they deserve. This film is made with the motive of appealing to as many people as possible. So, we’ve taken the route of humour. Laughter opens people up to difficult conversations,” he told the daily.
Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan stars Ayushmann Khurrana as a gay man, and is being touted as the first mainstream gay love story in Bollywood. The film also stars Jitendra Kumar, Neena Gupta and Gajraj Rao.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kangana Ranaut once claimed credit for some iconic scenes in Queen, and said that she did not expect much from the film.
- Ibrahim Ali Khan's friend has shared a picture with the star kid from their family home, Pataudi Palace. See it here.
- Actor Ankita Lokhande has defended Mahhi Vij and Jay Bhanushali against allegations that they abandoned their foster children.
- Karan Johar took to Instagram and shared a video of his children Roohi and Yash role-playing as a mother-son duo.
- Shraddha Kapoor and Ranveer Singh were spotted at the birthday bash of her rumoured boyfriend, celebrity photographer Rohan Shrestha. See pictures here.
- Kangana Ranaut has said that she did Queen 'for money' and never thought it would even be released. The film celebrates its seventh anniversary on Sunday.
- Pictures of Shah Rukh Khan at his parents' grave site in New Delhi showed the actor paying his respects. Shah Rukh's parents died when he was very young.
- Pooja Bhatt has revealed the advice her father Mahesh Bhatt gave her before shooting a romantic scene with Sanjay Dutt in Sadak.
- Sonam Kapoor, who lives in London, shared a throwback picture from their childhood to wish Janhvi Kapoor on her birthday. See here.
- An unseen picture of Saif Ali Khan with his son Ibrahim Ali Khan from latter's birthday bash has surfaced online. See it here.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared information about a new restaurant called Sona in New York. She has been creatively involved with it from contributing in its design, menu, music and even with its name.
- Elli AvrRam has shared the first look of her upcoming dance number with Aamir Khan, from the film Koi Jaane Na.
- Actor Pooja Bhatt has said that she took a step back from acting because she had no desire to play 'arm candy' to heroes.