Sridevi’s saree being auctioned on her death anniversary, bid reaches 1.30 lakh
A handwoven Kota saree, one of Sridevi’s favourites, is on auction online ahead of her first death anniversary, which falls on Sunday. The amount will be directed towards a cause.
According to Parisera, a Chennai-based online platform, which specialises in Indian handicrafts and is hosting the auction ‘Being Generous, With Sridevi’, the Kapoor family has decided to donate the proceeds from the auction to Concern India Foundation, a charitable trust which has programmes for the benefit of women, children, the differently abled, the underprivileged and the elderly and works in the fields of education, health and community development.
The bid started at Rs 40,000 a few days ago, is underway and had reached Rs 1,30,000.
A tweet from Parisera on February 20 invited bids from the saree. A description of the Kota sari reads: “It is light, bright and emanates the perfect essence of Sridevi.”
Officials at Parisera said they were proud to play a simple yet strong role in the auction of Sridevi’s saree, and invited admirers to “bid for a part of the actress’s legacy while making a contribution towards the betterment of society”.
To mark a year since Sridevi left, Boney and his daughters - Janhvi and Khushi - held a puja in Chennai earlier this month.
Sridevi, Bollywood’s first female superstar, died aged 54 on February 24, 2018, by way of accidental drowning in a bathtub in a Dubai hotel, leaving the film industry, her family and legions of fans in a state of shock.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kangana Ranaut took to Twitter and dropped a vague description of a man who she believes is running a social media smear campaign against her.
- Swara Bhasker lashed out at a man who made an unsavoury comment about her being on the cover of Vogue magazine. She called him a "pretentious half-wit pretending to be ‘elite’".
- Rohan Shrestha's father, Rakesh Shrestha, said that he would be very happy if his son and Shraddha Kapoor decide to get married.
- Rakesh Roshan took to social media and revealed he received the first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine shot. He also pointed out the uniqueness of the day.
- Alia Bhatt took to Instagram and shared new production pictures from the upcoming movie Brahmastra. The actor stars with Ranbir Kapoor and Amitabh Bachchan in the movie.
- Actor Hazel Keech, the wife of cricketer Yuvraj Singh, announced that she is going on a social media detox. She said that she will be back but 'not too soon'.
- Kangana Ranaut is 'thrilled' to know how she is 'awesome at everything' she does. On Thursday, she shared photos of her smoothie bowl, after many claimed that she had pulled the picture off the internet.
- Parineeti Chopra has unveiled the teaser of her upcoming film Saina. She plays badminton player Saina Nehwal in the film.