...
...
Next Story

Govt lists IOC, NTPC, SAIL for Rs 72,500-crore disinvestment plan for 2017-18

The government plans to divest 15% in NLC, 10% each in NTPC, NHPC, SAIL and PFC, 5% in REC, and 3% in IOC as part of plans to raise more funds from disinvestment during 2017-18, compared to Rs 45,500 mobilised last year.

Updated on: Apr 17, 2017, 19:42:18 IST
Hindustan Times, New Delhi | By
Prefer HTon Google
Advertisement

The government will sell stakes in seven blue-chip state-run companies, including Indian Oil Corp and Steel Authority of India, as it looks to raise cash to fund its ambitious infrastructure and social projects.

HT photo
HT photo

The sales could fetch the government about Rs 34,500 crore at the last closing price of their stocks.

The finance ministry invited merchant banks and legal advisers on Monday to help with the share sales that are also crucial for the government to meet the fiscal deficit target of 3.2% of GDP in 2017-18. The government aims to raise Rs 72,500 crore from disinvestment during the period.

The companies listed for part sale include the National Thermal Power Corp, Rural Electrification Corp, Power Finance Corp, Neyvelli Lignite Corp and hydro power company NHPC, a government statement said.

The government will sell the stakes through the offer-for-sale route, meaning by auction on stock exchanges. The new list of companies is in addition to at least 11 state-owned firms that will be listed on the bourses this year.

So far the government has struggled to raise enough private money, with at least Rs 65,000-crore worth of road projects stuck because of difficulty in obtaining land. Many power projects remain unfinished owing to regulatory delays.

The government has also signalled it wants to ease up on cutting the fiscal deficit to be able to spend more on rural areas as it seeks to lift growth and assuage people’s pain from the government’s drive to purge the economy of black money and corruption.

Some of the firms named on Monday were listed for stake sale in the last financial year too but the programme faltered due to adverse market conditions, forcing the government to revise down its fund-raising target to Rs 45,000 crore – which it achieved.

Going by past record, analysts doubt the government will meet its disinvestment target this financial year.

“But if you push the disinvestment programme on time--front-load the share sales--it can be achieved,” said DK Joshi, chief economist of Crisil, the Indian unit of global rating agency Standard and Poor’s.

Merchant banks and legal advisers have to send their proposals to the government by April 26 and May 12 respectively.

 
Stay updated with the latest Business News, stock market updates, petrol and diesel prices, gold and silver rates, income tax updates and major developments from India and across the world.
Stay updated with the latest Business News, stock market updates, petrol and diesel prices, gold and silver rates, income tax updates and major developments from India and across the world.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Hindustantimes wants to start sending you push notifications. Click allow to subscribe