Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 23, 2019-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Arwani battle ends: 3 militants eliminated, 2 LeT terrorists’ bodies found

Three terrorists were killed in an encounter in Arwani on Wednesday after which a gunbattle broke out between the militants and security forces.

india Updated: Dec 09, 2016 23:57 IST
Hindustan Times, Srinagar
Security forces stand guard during a gunbattle between the army and militants at Arwani in Anantnag district of South Kashmir on Thursday.(PTI photo)

The bodies of two militants and three rifles were recovered as the encounter in Arwani area of south Kashmir ended, police said on Friday.

The army, in an official tweet, said that of the three militants killed, the bodies of two were recovered. “#JKOps Arwani, Anatnag Dist (J&K). Three holed up terrorists eliminated; bodies of two terrorists & three weapons recovered,” said the Northern Command’s tweet.

An officer at the police control room in Anantnag told HT that the two slain militants were identified as Majid Ahmad Zargar and Rahil Amin Dar. Sources added that Zargar was from Quimoh area of Kulgam district and Dar from Vessu in Anantnag and both were regional ‘commanders’ of the banned outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) in south Kashmir.

DGP, coordination and law and order, SP Vaid told HT that the elimination of the two militants has dealt a massive blow to the LeT ranks in the Valley. “They were important militants in the Valley and it is a big blow to them,” he said.

A police statement said that on Wednesday they received a specific information about the presence of terrorists at the house of Mushtaq Ahmad Ganie at Hassanpora, Tavila Arwani.

“As per the information, Ganie works as an over ground worker (OGW) for LeT and not only harbours terrorists in his house, but also provides all sort of logistical support to them,” the statement said.

It added that when a joint team of police, CRPF and Army cordoned off the house and entered it for searching, militants opened fire on them.

“The fire was retaliated and the ensuing gunbattle lasted for almost two days. The operation concluded on Friday when a joint team of Jammu and Kashmir police and CRPF’s quick action team (QAT) stormed the house and cleared it. The cover fire to the storming team was provided by army troops,” the statement said.

Police have also collected DNA samples from the bodies for their further identification.

First Published: Dec 09, 2016 11:13 IST

more from india