Taylor, Santner ruled out of New Zealand’s second Test vs Australia
Ross Taylor and Mitchell Santner were on Monday ruled out of the New Zealand side for the second Test against Australia as they look to atone for their first Test thumping.cricket Updated: Feb 15, 2016 12:28 IST
Ross Taylor and Mitchell Santner were on Monday ruled out of the New Zealand side for the second Test against Australia as they look to atone for their first Test thumping.
Neither player has recovered sufficiently from the injuries that sidelined them from the first Test, coach Mike Hesson said.
Australia won the first Test in Wellington by an innings and 52 runs and victory in the second Test starting in Christchurch on Saturday would see them replace India as the top-ranked team in the world.
Senior batsman Taylor suffered a muscle tear in his left side during last month’s one-day series against Pakistan, and left-arm spinner Santner has a bruised heel from the ODIs against Australia which followed.
“Everyone wants to play against Australia, so both guys are understandably disappointed to be missing out,” said Hesson.
“The players and the medical staff worked hard to be available for the match, but in the end ran out of time.”
Both players are said to be on track to be available to play in the World Twenty20 in India next month.
Henry Nicholls and Mark Craig, who replaced Taylor and Santner for the first Test and were two of the better New Zealand performers will remain with the side for the second Test.
First Published: Feb 15, 2016 12:27 IST