Sreesanth sorry, Board closes chapter
The fast bowler had come under the BCCI's scanner last week for speaking to the media, reports Amol Karhadkar.cricket Updated: May 05, 2007 03:06 IST
Fast bowler Shanthakumaran Sreesanth had come under the BCCI's scanner last week for, a) speaking to the media without permission and b) reportedly saying "what's wrong with endorsements?" during the interaction with journalists.
However, he later apologised to the Board, leading the BCCI to close the chapter. HT had reported on April 26 that Sreesanth would be in trouble for not speaking to the press without prior permission at a function in Thiruvananthapuram on April 24.
The report forced BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah, who was in the West Indies then, to seek an explanation from Sreesanth.
"Shah had sent a newspaper clipping to the Kerala Cricket Association (Sreesanth's state association), seeking an explanation," BCCI chief administrative officer Prof Ratnakar Shetty told HT on Friday.
"Sreesanth then promptly called up to clarify. While he apologised, he also denied having made any remarks about endorsements. So, the matter is closed."
However, if Sreesanth denied having said "what's wrong with endorsements?" why did he need to apologise?
Also, if the BCCI sent a copy of the cutting to Kerala Cricket Association, why didn't they do the same with Sachin Tendulkar and Yuvraj Singh earlier last month?
Both the senior pros were issued a notice by the Board's Working Committee for their remarks to the media.
Even umpires were tired of WC’karachi:
Players were not the only ones tired and bored of the long-drawn cricket World Cup, umpires were left equally exhausted by the tournament's length, said Pak umpire Aleem Dar.
Dar, who stood in the finals of the mega-event which ended last week, felt the World Cup was pretty well-organised but was too long.
“It was a bit too long and in the end tired out the players and umpires. I think the World Cup should be of shorter duration,” Dar said.
Dar and fellow umpire Steve Bucknor were at the centre of a rain-affected chaotic final which saw Australia clinch their third successive title in near-darkness.
Buchanan turned his back on India
Melbourne: John Buchanan has turned down a potentially lucrative approach from India, but the outgoing Australian mentor has not entirely ruled out a return to international coaching in the future.
Buchanan confirmed that he was "indirectly" approached before leaving for the Caribbean World Cup by Indian officials, who were keen to gauge his interest in succeeding Greg Chappell as their coach after the World Cup.
But after almost eight years at the helm of Australia, Buchanan was not immediately ready for another international assignment and, accordingly, did not follow up the Indian approach. Still, the veteran coach said he would retain an open mind regarding overseas opportunities.
"There was some indirect contact from India," Buchanan was quoted as saying by 'The Age on Friday.
Meanwhile in Mumbai, BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah on Friday strongly denied reported claims by outgoing Australia coach Buchanan about an “indirect” proposal. “This is the first time I am hearing about it,” Shah said.
First Published: May 05, 2007 02:53 IST