Safety app for Kedarnath pilgrims this year: Rawat
Pilgrims to Kedarnath this year can use special mobile apps for their safety and alert authorities during emergencies.
With the sacred portals of the Himalayan shrine, which bore the brunt of flash floods last year, slated to be thrown open to devotees on May 4, the Uttarakhand government is gearing up.
Chief minister Harish Rawat said his government will use modern technology including special mobile apps for pilgrims to provide a safe and smooth yatra.
“Our first challenge is to ensure safety of pilgrims and we will use modern technology for that. We will strengthen our telecom network and will provide special mobile apps to the pilgrims at the time of registration,” Rawat, who took over charge from Vijay Bahuguna last month, said.
“They can press them if they are in any danger and remain connected with the headquarters. It’s just like women safety mobile apps. We will establish the headquarters in Bheembali and Guptkashi,” Rawat said. He said his government is also seeking special satellites for getting advanced information about any climatic change.
“Had those satellites been installed earlier, the damage would not have been to that scale last year. We are trying to get some satellites to know about the climatic changes in advance,” the former water resources minister said. He also said that BSNL network in the state will be upgraded and all funds have been sanctioned for this.
“We will strengthen BSNL network here. State government has sanctioned the necessary funds for that. We are in talks with two-three companies for mobile apps and one has already given presentation. We will implement this as soon as the yatra begins,” he said, but did not elaborate on the technicalities of the apps.