Election 2022 Live: Congress appoints Avinash Pandey as party's Jharkhand in-charge as RPN Singh moves to BJP
- Election 2022 Live updates: Assembly elections in five states – Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Goa, and Manipur – are scheduled over seven phases.
Filing of nomination for Punjab assembly elections 2022 will start today as the state gears up for polls scheduled for February 20. The Election Commission had announced that the voting would take place in Punjab on February 14 but postponed it after a request from political parties, first made by the ruling Congress, citing travel planned by voters on the occasion of Guru Ravidas Jayanti.
On Monday, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief Jagat Prakash Nadda announced seat-sharing among the allies for the assembly elections in Punjab. BJP will contest 65 seats in the 117-member Punjab assembly, while its two allies, the Punjab Lok Congress and the Shiromani Akali Dal (Sanyukt), will contest 37 and 15 seats, respectively.
Follow all the updates here:
Jan 25, 2022 06:47 PM IST
Congress appoints Avinash Pandey as party's Jharkhand in-charge
Congress on Tuesday appointed Avinash Pandey as party's Jharkhand in-charge with immediate effect as RPN Singh moved to BJP earlier in the day.
Jan 25, 2022 03:42 PM IST
JD(U) issues first list of 20 candidates for UP polls
Jan 25, 2022 01:29 PM IST
On National Voters' Day, PM Modi asks parties, citizens to increase voter turnout in every election
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday, which also marks the National Voters' Day, asked all political parties and citizens to focus on boosting the voter turnout from panchayat to the general elections. He urged the workers to ensure that the overall voter turnout in every election is at least 75%, Hindustan Times reports. Read here.
Jan 25, 2022 01:26 PM IST
Congress Central Election Committee to meet today for UP polls candidates' selection
The Central Election Committee (CEC) of Congress will meet via video conferencing later in the day for selecting candidates for Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections, ANI reported.
Jan 25, 2022 12:42 PM IST
RPN Singh resigns as Congress member, set to join BJP
RPN Singh, former minister in the UPA government, resigned as a Congress member on Tuesday. “I begin a new chapter in my political journey. Jai Hind,” he wrote on Twitter along with his resignation letter to Congress interim president Sonia Gandhi. Singh is set to join the BJP.
Jan 25, 2022 12:10 PM IST
SC issues notice to Centre, EC on plea seeking deregistration of parties over irrational freebies promise
The Supreme Court (SC) on Tuesday issued a notice to the Centre and the Election Commission of India (ECI) on a petition seeking deregistration of political parties over irrational freebies promise.
Jan 25, 2022 11:03 AM IST
BJP plans to hold 10 meetings in every Uttarakhand booth
Ahead of the Uttarakhand assembly elections, the BJP has planned to convene a total of 10 meetings in every booth of the northern hill state, ANI reported. Read here.
Jan 25, 2022 09:20 AM IST
NSUI to launch 'Student Manifesto' in poll-bound states
Congress has decided to present a separate vision document "Student Manifesto" in the poll-bound states. Its student wing, NSUI, will today launch a manifesto for the Goa Assembly polls.
Jan 25, 2022 08:05 AM IST
Filing of nomination for Punjab assembly elections begins today
The filing of nominations for the 2022 Punjab assembly elections, scheduled for February 20, will start today.
- Bypoll results 2022: Bypolls were conducted in four assembly seats and one Lok Sabha seat across Bihar, Chhattishgarh, Maharashtra and West Bengal.
- Agnimitra Paul urged police, local officials and the election commission to keep a check on post-poll violence in the state.
- The bypoll for the Bochachan seat was required after the death of Paswan's father Musafir Paswan, who won the seat on the Vikassheel Insaan Party's ticket.
- As per the latest trend, Shatrughan Sinha is leading by nearly 9,000 votes in the Asansol Lok Sabha seat while Babul Supriyo is leading by more than 4,600 votes in the Ballygunge assembly constituency.
- By-poll results 2022 highlights: In a massive victory, the Trinamool Congress has swept the by-elections in Bengal from the Asansol lok sabha seat and the Ballygunge assembly seat. The Congress swept Maharashtra's Kolhapur North, while the RJD claimed Bihar win.
- UP MLC Election Result 2022 highlights: The counting of votes is currently underway. BJP is looking for a clean sweep in the legislative council elections, with already nine seats won unopposed.
- Daughter of former chief minister of Uttarakhand Major General (Retd) Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri, Ritu Khanduri won the 2022 assembly elections by defeating Congress' Surendra Singh Negi from the Kotdwar seat by a margin of 3,687 votes.
- Odisha Urban Body Elections Result 2022 highlights: The Biju Janata Dal has swept the municipal bodies elections, winning 95 out of 108 municipalities.