James Bond film makers cancel India shoot
Apparently, producers EON and Sony Pictures have had to slash their budget dramatically, resulting in them scrapping plans to shoot in six exotic countries including India and Bali. UK-based paper Daily Mirror also reports that instead of distant locations, they (makers) are using various UK beaches. Another UK paper Metro reports that Skyfall has suffered from a series of delays after film studio MGM filed for bankruptcy.
Although director Sam Mendes confirmed that the film is due to be shot in the UK, China and Turkey, reports suggest that makers have decided to scale back and use only Turkey as the main foreign location. It’s also believed that Skyfall will rely heavily on SFX, and locales recreated at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire, UK.
Initially, the 23rd James Bond thriller was to be shot in Mumbai, Goa and Gujarat, besides featuring a few action sequences on Indian trains. Apparently, the Information and Broadcasting Ministry and railways officials had already cleared all the permissions applied for by line producer India Take One Productions.
Ask Pravesh Sahni of the Indian production house if budget cuts forced Bond makers to pull out, and he says: "I don’t want to comment about the Bond film. Whatever happened is in the past. Now, we are looking towards the future and new films." When contacted, Steve Elzer, senior vice president (media relations) of Sony Pictures Entertainment "chose not to comment on rumours."
Interestingly, 1983’s Octopussy, which was the 13th film in the Bond franchise, saw a few scenes filmed in India. Starring Roger Moore as Bond, it had an action sequence filmed on, and under, an Indian train. Although makers haven’t yet commented on the current film’s budget, it’s estimated to be around $150 million, down from the $200 million spent on Quantum of Solace (2008).
Producer Michael Wilson, at a press conference, states that "Skyfall is in the same (price) range as the last film, and we really haven’t had to change anything in the script. We haven’t had to sacrifice anything."
Hollywood at home
Singularity: Roland Joffé’s upcoming Josh Hartnett-starrer has been extensively shot in Orchha in Madhya Pradesh.
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel: John Madden’s film was shot in and around Jaipur and follows the life of a group of British retirees in a home for the aged in India.
Life of Pi: Oscar-winning filmmaker Ang Lee shot his film in Pudducherry. It’s scheduled to release on December 21.
The Reluctant Fundamentalist: With Liev Schreiber and Kiefer Sutherland, Mira Nair shot the film in Delhi.
Marc Baschet’s Untitled Film: The producer of the Oscar-winning No Man's Land plans to shoot his political love story here
starting in November.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Critics Choice Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday. Nomadland bagged four awards while late Chadwick Boseman received a posthumous award for Best Actor for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman and director Taika Waititi are currently filming Thor: Love and Thunder in Australia. A few photos and a video from the sets have leaked online.
- Chrissy Teigen took to Instagram to post pictures and videos from a recent night out with husband, singer John Legend, where she enjoyed some popular Bollywood music.
- Judas and the Black Messiah movie review: Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield deliver extraordinary performances in Shaka King's politically charged film, co-produced by Ryan Coogler.
- Coming 2 America movie review: Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall reunite for the dull and boring sequel to their cult hit.
- Raya and the Last Dragon movie review: Kelly Marie Tran and Awkwafina put their own twist on the Mulan-Mushu dynamic in Disney's latest animated adventure.
- Chris Evans shared a video montage of his friend visiting the sets of Captain America: The First Avenger and reacting to his scenes.
- Kristen Stewart has been filming for her upcoming movie, Spencer. The Twilight star plays the role of Princess Diana in the movie.
- Nick Jonas revealed he began the making of his upcoming album Spaceman when his wife and actor Priyanka Chopra was filming for The Matrix 4 in Germany.
- Actor Gal Gadot and her husband Jaron Varsano are expecting their third child together. The Wonder Woman actor posted a cute family picture to make the announcement.
- Chadwick Boseman's wife Simone Ledward broke down while accepting his posthumous Golden Globe for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Mark Ruffalo received the Best Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie for I Know This Much Is True... at the Golden Globe Awards 2021. The actor, in his acceptance speech, spoke about "Mother Earth."
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday, February 28. From The Crown to Schitt's Creek and I Care A Lot, here’s who bagged the trophies.
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 took place this weekend and Twitter couldn't help but point out the chaos that unfolded at the awards show.
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) were called out by several celebrities for their lack of diversity in their ranks. After stars chanted "Time's Up Globes", the HFPA issued a statement assuring a change in the making.