Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth’s Marvel salaries skyrocketed after success; here’s how much they made
Marvel movies have a history of turning their leads into stars, and the investment isn’t cheap. Over the years, several actors have gone from humble salaries in their first films for Marvel, to making record-breaking millions.
The bulk of the earning for most MCU actors, such as Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans, comes from a cut of the profits. For instance, Downey, according to Business Insider, had an 8% back-end deal on Avengers: Endgame, which translated to around $75 million.
But Downey was paid just $500000 for his starring role in the first Iron Man film in 2008. He made round $2.5 million including his cut of the profits. Downey later made $50 million for the first Avengers film, and around $80 million for Avengers: Age of Ultron.
By comparison, Chris Evans was paid $1 million for the first Captain America film, but since Captain America: Civil War, has been making $15 million per film. Chris Hemsworth was paid even less for the first Thor film -- $150000 -- but made $15 million for Thor: Ragnarok.
“We started saying that the character is the marquee name, and I think that’s still true, but I think we’ve been very lucky and thankful that the actors that imbibe these characters have now become them,” Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige told Forbes in 2017. “It’s expensive but well worth it.”
Meanwhile, Chadwick Boseman was paid $2 million for Black Panther; Brie Larson, according to the Hollywood Reporter was paid $5 million for Captain Marvel and Scarlett Johansson was paid $15 million for the upcoming Black Widow solo film.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Armie Hammer was contacted by the Cayman Islands police after they received a complaint about a video he posted on a private Instagram account. The video showed a woman posing on all-fours in a hotel room.
- The White Tiger movie review: Adarsh Gourav delivers a star-making performance in Ramin Bahrani's angry answer to Slumdog Millionaire, co-starring Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Rajkummar Rao.
- Actor Tom Holland spoke about the arduous audition process for Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the time he thought he'd be fired from the role.
- A life-size cutout of Ana de Armas was trashed outside Ben Affleck's house, amid reports of their breakup.
- Joe and Anthony Russo are bringing their Marvel Cinematic Universe experience to fleshing out the Extraction franchise, director Sam Hargrave has said.
- Celebrity couple Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel have welcomed their second child, a year after he publicly apologised for inappropriate behaviour amid cheating rumours.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Actor Ray Fisher has released a lengthy statement confirming his removal from the upcoming Flash movie, amid his standoff with Warner Bros.
- Actor Armie Hammer announced that he is quitting his upcoming film, amid a scandal around messages that he allegedly sent a woman.
- Patralekhaa spotted Rajkummar Rao on a hoarding of The White Tiger in New York and shared a picture on Instagram stories. She reminisced about his incredible journey, from Gurugram to New York.