...
...
Next Story

‘Excessive interference’: Supreme Court orders husband to live with wife, daughter, separately from parents

'The husband, wife and their daughter shall start residing separately on the first floor of the house… This is our order'.

Published on: Dec 10, 2025, 05:18:10 IST
Advertisement

The Supreme Court has ordered a man to live separately from his parents and with his wife and daughter, observing that excessive influence and interference from his parents appeared to be the root cause of marital conflict. The court said that the arrangement was necessary to help the couple rebuild their relationship.

Emphasising reconciliation, the bench ordered that the arrangement of separate residence must continue for at least three months. It further clarified that if the wife’s parents wished to meet their granddaughter, they were free to visit the house. (Representational image)
Emphasising reconciliation, the bench ordered that the arrangement of separate residence must continue for at least three months. It further clarified that if the wife’s parents wished to meet their granddaughter, they were free to visit the house. (Representational image)

A bench of justices JB Pardiwala and KV Viswanathan, in an order passed last week, noted that “the husband is in complete control of his parents and is unable to take any independent decision,” which had resulted in the wife feeling ignored along with their nine-year-old daughter.

“Prima facie, the root cause of disputes in the matrimonial life of the couple seems to be the interference of the parents of the husband,” held the bench after interacting with all family members.

“The husband, wife and their daughter shall start residing separately on the first floor of the house… This is our order. The husband cannot say that he would not shift to the first floor,” it directed.

The court was hearing an appeal against an order issued by the Chhattisgarh High Court last year in a case filed by the wife, seeking maintenance. The woman had also alleged ill-treatment, harassment and assault by the husband and his family, resulting into separate proceedings pertaining to divorce and domestic violence.

The man was represented by advocate Padmesh Mishra.

Emphasising reconciliation, the bench ordered that the arrangement of separate residence must continue for at least three months. It further clarified that if the wife’s parents wished to meet their granddaughter, they were free to visit the house.

At the same time, the court expressed expectations of mutual respect between family members, directing that the wife should take care of her in-laws if they fall sick or require daily help, even while residing separately. “We also expect the wife to take care of her in-laws in case they fall sick or any other domestic help is required on a day-to-day basis,” stated the order.

During their interaction, the bench said that they were “taken aback” to learn that the wife was pregnant, stressing that the husband must ensure complete medical care, including regular visits to the gynaecologist, and that no trouble should arise from her in-laws.

The order also noted that all civil and criminal proceedings between the parties will remain stayed till the next hearing. The wife’s parents and brothers have been directed to ensure they do not create trouble in the marital life of the couple.

The matter will be taken up again on April 8, 2026, with the parties directed to appear in person, except the wife, whose personal appearance has been exempted due to her pregnancy.

“We expect the parties to abide by our order and not create any further trouble for each other,” said the bench, adding that the couple and extended families had broadly agreed to the arrangement.

The court stressed that the order was driven by the welfare of the couple and the children, rather than by adversarial litigation.

In its concluding direction, the bench said it expected the husband to take “utmost care” of the wife during pregnancy.

 
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Utkarsh Anand

Utkarsh Anand is the National Legal Editor at Hindustan Times, where he leads the newspaper's coverage of the Supreme Court, constitutional law, the judiciary and the Union law ministry. He joined Hindustan Times in 2020 after stints at Press Trust of India (PTI), The Indian Express and CNN-News18, and has over two decades of experience reporting on law, governance and public policy. His work has focussed on some of India's most consequential constitutional and legal developments, including the Supreme Court's judgments on Article 370, marriage equality, decriminalisation of homosexuality, the Babri Masjid dispute, electoral reforms and judicial appointments. He specialises in making complex legal proceedings and judgments accessible to readers while examining their wider social and political impact. Beyond daily reportage, Utkarsh has led investigative projects and enterprise reporting that have shaped public debate and prompted institutional responses. His work has received several journalism awards, including the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award. As National Legal Editor, he has also played a key role in expanding Hindustan Times' legal journalism footprint, mentoring reporters and strengthening coverage across platforms. A Chevening South Asia Journalism Programme Fellow, Utkarsh regularly writes analyses on the judiciary and constitutional issues, and his reporting is widely followed by lawyers, judges, policymakers, academics and readers seeking clarity on India's evolving legal landscape.

Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Hindustantimes wants to start sending you push notifications. Click allow to subscribe