Jat stir 2nd phase to end today after Haryana govt agrees to 10 demands
The second Jat agitation that began on June 2 is expected to dissipate soon as the Haryana government has agreed to a list of demands, including releasing those arrested during the movement.Haryana Jat Quota Updated: Jun 19, 2016 12:07 IST
Protesters leading the second phase of the Jat quota agitation that began early this month have agreed to wind down their movement this Sunday, following the Haryana government’s agreement over a 10-point charter.
Representatives of the Yashpal Malik-led All India Jat Aarkshan Sangharsh Samiti (AIJASS) met with government officials on Saturday to agree on terms, a statement released by AIJASS national general secretary, BS Ahlawat, said.
“The government has agreed on the 10 point demand charter submitted by us. So we have decided to call off the agitation for the time being,” Malik confirmed to Hindustan Times.
The Jat leader led AIJASS leaders who held parleys with state transport minister, Krishan Lal Panwar, and state BJP president, Subhash Barala, at New Delhi on Saturday. A day earlier, an AIJASS faction led by Hawa Singh Sangwan, which didn’t play a proactive role in the second phase, made similar demands before the state government.
Among the points was a demand to have the criminal cases registered against Jats during the February violence and the present agitation withdrawn. The sedition case against Malik at Jind is also a part of the charter. Jat leaders have also asked the government to provide financial compensation for those killed and injured during the February violence.
The AIJASS also expects the release those jailed during the two agitations as soon as possible.
The other demands put forth by the AIJASS include action against BJP MP from Kurukshetra, Rajkumar Saini, for his anti-Jat talks, dialogue with the committee constituted under the chairmanship of Union minister Venkaiah Naidu to look into the demand of a Jat quota in central government jobs, that the state government defend the Jat quota legislation in the Punjab and Haryana high court and immediately secure the Jat quota law under the Ninth Schedule to the Constitution to protect it from judicial review.
Sangwan’s faction presented similar demands on Friday, which were also accepted by Agriculture minister, OP Dhankar.
With Malik yielding, the agitation is expected to whittle down for the time being.
The AIJASS statement said that a delegation will visit all the dharna spots in Haryana and persuade those sitting on hunger strike to call off their protest. “It has been decided by AIJASS national president that members of state and national executive will be responsible for postponing the stir by Sunday evening,” the group said in a statement.
The AIJASS had earlier decided to hold dharnas sans any obstruction on roads and railway tracks from June 5. Malik had in fact given an assurance to this effect during a meeting held with Haryana Transport minister, Krishan Lal Panwar in New Delhi on June 2.
The February agitation that lasted more than 10 days turned bloody and violent as it spread, causing major destruction to civic property, loss of lives, and disrupting traffic moving in and out of the state.
First Published: Jun 19, 2016 09:26 IST