Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 25, 2019-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

British Asian clubbed to death

Police has launched a murder hunt after Joe Mohammed was found beaten to death just yards from Epsom Police Station.

india Updated: Mar 25, 2006 18:44 IST
Nabanita Sircar
Nabanita Sircar

Police has launched a murder hunt after an Asian mechanic was found beaten to death just yards from Epsom Police Station.

Joe Mohammed was just a short distance away from his father's home when he was found with fatal head injuries minutes after midnight on Wednesday morning. A resident heard a disturbance and raised the alarm but Mohammed, who was in his thirties, was pronounced dead on arrival at Epsom hospital.

The site of the tragedy has raised questions that Joe may have been running from his killers and trying to get into the closed police station. The station now controversially shuts at 10 pm each night after a change in police policy about five years ago in which it was decided officers were better employed on the streets than manning the station.

Detectives have appealed for witnesses. A friend, a regular in the Comrades Club, The Parade, where Joe had been on Tuesday night, said, "He would have passed the station - would this have happened if it had been open? Joe did not have any enemies. His family came from India, he was born in Epsom. Loads of people in Epsom knew Joe and liked him but there are a lot of violent, sometimes racist, young drunks about who might have just picked on him."

Bar steward at the club said, "Joe was very protective of his father and a very good son who did a lot for his dad. He came here regularly, he was in between 8 pm and 8.30 pm on Tuesday. We cannot believe we won't seem him again."

Relatives are now caring for Joe's father, who recently suffered a stroke.

On the fateful night Joe went on to the Epsom Royal British Legion Club. Its chairman Sharon Honess said, "He was a nice, decent young man and well liked. He left about 11.30 pm on his own, saying 'good-night'. I could not believe he could be murdered so soon afterwards."

Police also confirmed that an 18-year-old had been arrested in connection with the murder.

First Published: Mar 25, 2006 18:44 IST