FBI officials to depose in Kasab’s trial: Mumbai police
Officials of the US probe agency FBI will be among the witnesses in the trial of Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone Pakistani terrorist caught alive in the November 26 terror strikes.india Updated: Feb 09, 2009 16:01 IST
Officials of the US probe agency FBI will be among the witnesses in the trial of Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone Pakistani terrorist caught alive in the November 26 terror strikes, Mumbai police, which is likely to file the chargesheet in the next three weeks, said on Monday.
“We will include Federal Bureau of Investigation officials as witnesses as they have done various scientific tests in connection with Mumbai attacks. We are working on necessary procedures which will allow the FBI officials to appear as witnesses,” Mumbai police commissioner Hasan Gafoor told PTI.
“Chargesheet in the Mumbai attacks will throw light on how the FBI officials have helped us. Though we have not yet decided when to file the chargesheet but it will take at least another 20 days,” Gafoor said and refused to divulge further details.
A team of three crime branch officials is also expected to fly to the US in connection with the probe into the November 26 terror strikes.
Over 110 witnesses including doctors, forensic experts, railway policemen will depose in Kasab’s trail, police officials.
The crime branch has also sought the FBI help in attaching the proof of Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services being used by terrorists of Lashkar-e-Taiba with their masters in port-city of Karachi in Pakistan.
An FBI team earlier visited Mumbai soon after the attacks to carry out forensic tests and take DNA samples of Kasab.
"Making the FBI part of the investigation and witness will only strengthen our case. Though we have all evidence against Pakistan, we are expecting all possible co-operation from the FBI to bring the culprit to justice," a crime branch official said.
Since six Americans were killed in terror strikes, it was mandatory for the FBI to investigate the attacks as they are required to register an independent case.
In the chargesheet, Kasab, whose Pakistani identity has been acknowledged by Islamabad, will face charges ranging from murder, attempt to murder and theft to waging war against the country under UAPA Act and Customs Act.
The Maharashtra Government has already decided to set up a special court to conduct the trial.
The chargesheet will cover mainly Kasab's conversation with his handlers in Pakistan, his interrogation report besides eyewitnesses who saw him spraying bullets on the night of November 26 last year.
The chargesheet is also likely to name Yosuf Muzzamil and Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi, the main Lashkar operatives, who had allegedly handled the terrorists during the siege, besides Faheem Ansari and Sabahuddin Ahmed who did recce of all the places before attack.