Gogoi appeals protesters to call off Arunachal blockade
Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday appealed various organisations to call off the ongoing economic blockade against Arunachal Pradesh that has been launched in protest against the killing of 11 Assam villagers.india Updated: Feb 05, 2014 19:15 IST
Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday appealed various organisations to call off the ongoing economic blockade against Arunachal Pradesh that has been launched in protest against the killing of 11 Assam villagers by armed miscreants from Arunachal Pradesh side at Chauldhoba in Behali reserve forest area along the inter-state border on January 29.
“The culprits were miscreants not the state. I am in touch with Arunachal CM and we have prepared a plan to solve the border situation. But first, the economic blockade should be called off,” said Gogoi.
Gogoi added his government had already written to the home ministry seeking a CBI investigation into the killings.
The economic blockade along NH-52 has created a shortage of essential commodities in Arunachal Pradesh.
Arunachal CM Nabam Tuki appealed the agitators to call off the stir, but villagers in border areas of Sonitpur and Lakshimpur district are demanding arrest of miscreants and action against an MLA who was allegedly inciting miscreants to attack on Assam’s villagers in the Behali forest.
Though the forest is in Assam jurisdiction, for the last few years the neighbouring state has been claiming parts of its territory.
On Tuesday, an Arunachali youth was mercilessly beaten up by some miscreants in Sonitpur. He was admitted to a local hospital in serious condition.
ALSO READ:Modi is dictatorial, says Assam CM Gogoi
First Published: Feb 05, 2014 19:07 IST