Group A: Germany in a spot of bother
With just days left until the D-day, last edition's World Cup finalists find themselves in a spot of bother.
Even though drawn in a relatively easy group with teams like Costa Rica, Ecuador and Poland, their string of unimpressive recent performances leading up to the World Cup has left German fans with shaky feet.
To make matters worse, talismanic goalkeeper Oliver Kahn - once touted as the best on earth - has fallen out of favour from coach Jurgen Klinsmann's game plan. Losing 1-4 to Italy in a friendly and drawing shockingly to Japan 2-2 aren't helping matters either.
Yet, they are hot favourites this time around. What ought to work for them is a wholly revamped defence line which looks menacing. Add the fact that the hosts will play with the power of an entire nation backing Michael Ballack to create the moves and score the stunning goals.
Who to watch:Lukas Podolski. The immense pressure and attention given to Miroslav Klose should leave the door open for Podolski - or whoever partners Klose in attack - to find open space in the attacking third.
Who's missing: Schalke striker Kevin Kuranyi has scored 14 goals in 35 caps for Germany, but suffered through a poor season in the Bundesliga, scoring 10 goals in 30 games.
Costa Rica has never faced Germany in a World Cup game or a warm-up match till now.
Mark your date: Germany v Costa Rica, June 9, 2130 IST
Poland has clashed with Germany thrice, drawing once and losing twice.
Mark your date: Germany v Poland, June 15, 0030 IST
Ecuador has never faced Germany in a World Cup game or a warm-up match till now.
Mark your date: Germany v Ecuador, June 20, 1930 IST
Group B favourite would be profiled tomorrow.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Court-appointed amicus curiae senior advocate Siddhartha Dave prepared a chart indicating unsatisfactory response from states as well with some proposing to achieve compliance of Court’s December 2, 2020 order by end of 2023.
- The judgment, which involved approximately ₹500 crore in tax revenue, will impact companies such as IBM India Ltd, Samsung Electronics Co Ltd, Hewlett Packard India, Mphasis Ltd, Sonata Software Ltd, and GE India, among others.
- The girl's family lodged a complaint three day after she went missing.
- Shubhendu Shubham, 23, a 2016-batch student of Patna’s Nalanda Medical College Hospital (NMCH), had taken the first shot of Covaxin in the first week of February, but tested positive for the viral infection later last month before he could take the second shot
- For the past 13 days, the Durga-Nag market at Dalgate in Srinagar has been desolate and locals and traders in grief
- TMC’s leader in the Rajya Sabha Derek O, Brien asked the Election Commission to stop the Prime Minister "from taking unfair advantages and undue publicity at tax payer’s cost during the conduct of elections".
- Ghulam Nabi Azad detractors and supporters in the Jammu and Kashmir Pradesh Committee accused each other of acting at the behest of the BJP.
- Jailed Assam leader urges parties to put up common candidates against BJP
- The capacity of major ports which was around 870 million tonnes per annum in 2014 has increased to around 1550 million tonnes per annum now, the Prime Minister said.
- Party leaders fear that dissension may heighten in the coming days-- posters and notices have started appearing at many places against probable candidates.