Now in Gurgaon, call cops by SMS, complain online
Gurgaon Police on Tuesday launched a “citizen-centric automated online policing system” that they claimed is superior to the Delhi Police’s. You can now register your complaints online without visiting a police station, expect to get a printed copy of your FIR instead of a handwritten one, and call the police by simply sending them a text message from your mobile phone.
Gurgaon top cop Mohindar Lal announced the tech upgrades in his force on the first anniversary of the commissionerate policing system in the township.
Complaints can be registered — and the status of old complaints checked — on the web site www.gurgaonpolice.net. Apart from calling the conventional police emergency number 100, citizens can also send an SMS to 9717595423 to report a crime. The system is already functional, Lal said.
Eighty-three of the force’s 200 vehicles are GPS-fitted; the rest will have GPS in a month’s time, Lal said. “All major crossings are being put on online surveillance... through CCTV cameras with controls at police HQ,” he added.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The NCP demanded a joint parliamentary committee probe into the leaked WhatsApp chats, the Congress sought a probe under the Official Secrets Act and the Shiv Sena said demanded action against Arnab Goswami for breach of internal security.
- Several countries have either signed agreements or are in talks with Serum Institute or Bharat Biotech, including Bangladesh, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, South Africa and Morocco.
- Long weekends around Republic Day, Good Friday, Holi, Janmashtami, Dussehra and Christmas are expected to see significant interest from travellers.
- NIA officials said that most of the people who appeared before the agency in the last few days, have been examined as “witnesses”.
- The family of nomads had been living in a ramshackle shed covered with tarpaulin and polythene in a forest area of Devsar in Kulgam district.
- Vaccination officers complained that the Co-WIN portal was slow in responding that made uploading information on it time consuming and tedious.