...
...
Next Story

Secret mission brought Memon family from Sharjah: Documents

Nine family members of Tiger Memon, the fugitive main accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, were brought to India in 1994 from Sharjah in a highly classified operation on then Prime Minister PV Narasimha Rao’s watch, documents accessed by Hindustan Times reveal.

Updated on: Jul 30, 2015, 09:57:31 IST
Hindustan Times | By , New Delhi
Prefer HTon Google
Advertisement

Nine family members of Tiger Memon, the fugitive main accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, were brought to India in 1994 from Sharjah in a highly classified operation on then Prime Minister PV Narasimha Rao’s watch, documents accessed by Hindustan Times reveal.

A-file-photo-of-1993-Mumbai-blasts-convict-Yakub-Memon-HC-Tiwari-HT-Photo
A-file-photo-of-1993-Mumbai-blasts-convict-Yakub-Memon-HC-Tiwari-HT-Photo

Besides Rao, foreign minister Dinesh Singh, cabinet secretary Surendra Singh and foreign secretary K Srinivasan monitored the developments during the operation involving intelligence agencies, the Dubai consul general and CBI.

The documents contradict the perception that Tiger Memon’s brother, death-row convict Yakub Memon, was picked up in Kathmandu on August 5, 1994, as part of a surrender deal which was followed by his family giving in later that month.

Read:Nagpur jail gets ready to hang Yakub Memon

In pics | Yakub Memon's execution: Here's how the events unfolded

The papers suggest Indian diplomats and agents remained alert and anxious till the Memon family members reached Delhi on August 25, 1994. It is understood that they were later flown from Delhi to Mumbai on a chartered plane. Yakub’s wife Rahin arrived on September 4, 1994, because of a last-minute hitch.

On August 22, 1994, the then secretary (east) in the foreign ministry telegrammed the consul general in Dubai, with a copy marked to Prime Minister Rao, that he would be approached by an Indian agent seeking visas for a number of Pakistani passport-holders. The consul general was told to grant them Indian visas immediately with no delay whatsoever and maintain utmost confidentiality. The wire was marked to the foreign secretary, home secretary and cabinet secretary as well.

On August 25, 1994, the consul general sent a crash telegram to the secretary (east) informing that nine members of the Memon family left for Delhi from Sharjah on the 4.45 am Indian Airlines flight. The message maintained that a woman (Rahin Memon) could not leave because the Pakistani consulate had not returned her passport, which was submitted for entering particulars of a child (Yakub’s daughter) born a few days ago. Rahin was accommodated in the apartment of a non-diplomatic staff member (read agent).

It is evident from the telegram that the entire Indian consulate was anxious to ensure everything went smoothly during the send-off. The Indian agencies were under order to intervene immediately if anything went wrong. The consul general informed the secretary (east) that photocopies of the Pakistani passports issued to the Memons had been obtained by the Indian agencies.

Further, the wire said an Indian agent had given signed affidavits by each Memon family member, testifying that they were Indians and wished to return to India. These affidavits were later sent by diplomatic bag.

Then again on September 4, the consul general told the secretary (east) that with great difficulty they were able to persuade the local authorities to grant an exit visa to Rahin, who was sent to Delhi on Air India Flight 732.

Read:

Secret mission brought Memon family from Sharjah: Documents

President Pranab rejects mercy plea, Yakub exhausts all legal options

Police constable who hanged Kasab picked for Yakub's execution

All about Yakub Memon case

 
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Shishir Gupta

Shishir Gupta is Executive Editor at Hindustan Times and one of India's top journalists covering national security, strategic affairs, foreign policy and geopolitics. Over the past three decades, he has extensively reported on India's military, diplomatic and security landscape, covering every major conflict and national security challenge, from the 1999 Kargil War and the 2020 East Ladakh standoff to Operation Sindoor in 2025. He has also covered major terror attacks, including the IC-814 hijacking, the 26/11 Mumbai attacks and the 2025 Pahalgam terror strike, along with numerous Pakistan-backed terrorist incidents in the Kashmir Valley and across India. He has reported on national and state elections for more than three decades. A recognised authority on strategic affairs, Gupta has covered India's nuclear programme since the Pokhran-II (Shakti series) tests in May 1998 and has written extensively on global nuclear issues, Indian diplomacy and the country's expanding global outreach. He has also reported widely on international conflicts and terrorism, with a special focus on the Indian subcontinent. Gupta has interviewed Prime Minister Narendra Modi more than four times, including Modi's first interview with the print media after becoming Prime Minister in May 2014. His other interviews include three with the Dalai Lama, as well as conversations with Benjamin Netanyahu, Amit Shah, Yogi Adityanath, S. Jaishankar, Nirmala Sitharaman and Piyush Goyal. He is the author of Indian Mujahideen: The Enemy Within (Hachette, 2011) and Himalayan Face-off: Chinese Assertion and Indian Riposte (Hachette, 2014). He was awarded the Chevening-Wolfson Joint Scholarship at Wolfson College, University of Cambridge, UK, in 1998 and participated in the International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP) of the US State Department in 2006. He received the Ben Gurion Prize from Israel in 2011 and the K. Subrahmanyam Prize for Strategic Studies in 2015 from the Manohar Parrikar Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (MP-IDSA). Since 2024, he has hosted Point Blank, Hindustan Times' weekly YouTube show on global geopolitics.

Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Hindustantimes wants to start sending you push notifications. Click allow to subscribe