5 healthy eating tips for expecting mothers
Here are 5 essential tips for expecting mothers to maintain a nutritious diet throughout the remarkable journey of pregnancy
It is important to remember that each pregnancy experience is unique but a nourishing diet serves as a foundation for the well-being of both the mother and her baby during this extraordinary period. Pregnant women play a crucial role in ensuring their well-being and promoting the healthy growth of their unborn babies however, for the most tailored dietary guidance, consider having a discussion with a medical doctor or a registered dietitian.
In an interview with HT Lifestyle, Dt Renuka Bachhav, Sports Nutritionist at Hyugalife, suggested five essential tips for expecting mothers to maintain a nutritious diet throughout this remarkable journey -
- Diverse Nutritional Choices: Embrace a wide array of nourishing foods. Incorporate whole grains, lean protein sources such as chicken or fish, vibrant fruits, vegetables, and dairy products or suitable alternatives. These foods are rich in essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber, benefiting both you and your baby.
- Vital Folic Acid and Iron Intake: It's crucial to ensure adequate consumption of folic acid and iron. Folic acid is instrumental in safeguarding your baby's spinal health, while iron combats fatigue and anemia. Leafy greens are a reliable source of folic acid, while meats and beans offer the necessary iron content.
- Sufficient Hydration: Keep yourself hydrated by regularly drinking water throughout the day. Proper hydration maintains the optimal level of amniotic fluid surrounding your baby. Herbal teas and caffeine-free beverages also offer refreshing alternatives.
- Mindful Snacking: Opt for nutritious snacks to enhance your energy levels and manage your weight effectively. Choices like nuts, yogurt, fruits, and whole-grain crackers are excellent selections. These snacks contribute to stabilizing blood sugar levels and curbing unhealthy cravings.
- Prioritise Food Safety: Pay close attention to food safety practices. Steer clear of undercooked meat, unpasteurised dairy products, and raw seafood. Adhering to these guidelines safeguards both you and your baby's well-being. Additionally, ensure thorough washing of fruits and vegetables and handle food items with care.