Six faint after ‘gas leak’ near residential society in Vasundhara
A gas leak near a residential society in Sector 5, Vasundhara, resulted in four children and two women of a residential society falling unconscious. The women have been admitted to the ICU at a private hospital nearby. The police said a chlorine gas cylinder is suspected.noida Updated: Jun 04, 2016 23:07 IST
A gas leak near a residential society in Sector 5, Vasundhara, resulted in four children and two women of a residential society falling unconscious. The women have been admitted to the ICU at a private hospital nearby. The police said a chlorine gas cylinder is suspected.
According to residents, the society, Aditya Suntech City Apartments, is situated close to Ghaziabad Municipal Corporation’s land which has an overhead water tank.
“Since the past two days, the workers of the water department had been doing some digging work. Around 7 pm, a loud noise was heard and a fountain of yellow gas sprayed towards our society from the area where the work was being done,” said Pankaj Singh, general secretary of Aditya Suntech City apartments.
“Within minutes of the incident, four children who were in the swimming pool and two women who were standing nearby fell unconscious. They were rushed to a nearby hospital and the police were informed,” he added.
“There has been a leakage in the chlorine gas cylinder that was kept near the spot where the digging work was being done. We received a complaint from the residents after which the fire department was sent to the spot,” said Atul Kumar Yadav, circle officer, Indirapuram police station.
Singh, meanwhile, said the society is being evacuated and the residents are being asked to spend the night elsewhere.
“While the children are being treated in the general ward, the two women had to be admitted to the ICU as their condition was serious,” said Dr Sanjay Garg, director, Shanti Gopal Hospiatl, Ahinsa Khand=-2, Indirapuram.
The fire department officials said some of the personnel sent to control the situation complained of dizziness.
“The leakage was brought under control by spraying water over it as it gets diluted in water. Some of our workers were affected after inhaling the gas though their condition is not serious,” said Ajay Sharma, a fire department official at Vaishali fire station.
First Published: Jun 04, 2016 23:07 IST