Samantha calls Soorarai Pottru film of the year, says ‘Just the inspiration I needed’
Actor Samantha Akkineni, who recently caught up with Suriya-starrer Soorarai Pottru, has described it as the film of the year in a Twitter post, calling it the inspiration she needed. Suriya thanked Samantha for her gesture.
“Film of the year #SooraraiPottru. What a gem. @Suriya_offl #SudhaKongara @Aparnabala2 @PrimeVideoIN. Outstanding. Just the inspiration I needed (sic),” Samantha wrote on Twitter.
Directed by Sudha Kongara, the film is based on the life of Captain GR Gopinath – founder of the budget airline Air Deccan. The project, which marked Suriya’s maiden collaboration with a female director, also features Aparna Balamurali, Paresh Rawal and veteran Telugu actor Mohan Babu in crucial roles.
The film, which was supposed to release in theatres earlier this year in April, had its world premiere on Amazon Prime on October 30. Released in Tamil and Telugu, the film was received very well by the audience and as well as the critics.
Upon its release, Captain Gopinath took to Twitter to appreciate the movie and its makers. In a series of tweets, Gopinath was all praise for director Sudha Kongara and Suriya. Even though he called the film ‘heavily fictionalized’, he raved it for outstandingly capturing the essence of his story and struggle.
“Soorarai Pottru. Heavily fictionalized but outstanding in capturing the true essence of the story of my book. A real roller coaster. Yes, watched it last night. Couldn’t help laughing and crying on many family scenes that brought memories,” Gopinath wrote.
He said his story was dramatized “but true to the undying spirit of triumph of hope against struggles and tribulations of an entrepreneur with disadvantaged rural background over overwhelming odds.”
He heaped special praise for portraying his wife’s character perfectly. “The portrayal of my wife Bhargavi by Aparna was very well etched out, of a woman who had her own mind, strong but soft, feisty and fearless and an inspiration to rural women especially who are equal and can be entrepreneurs in their own right,” he said.
“And Suriya was powerful and carried off the part of an entrepreneur obsessed to the point of madness that makes dreams come true. A timely and great uplifting story in these times of gloom,” he added.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Director Chaitanya Tamhane's The Disciple, which opened to critical acclaim at the Venice and Toronto film festivals, has been nominated in the Best International Film category at the 36th annual Independent Spirit Awards. Adarsh Gourav has been nominated for Best Male Lead, for The White Tiger.
- Amitabh Bachchan showed off his new Covid-19 mask on social media, and his grandchildren -- Navya and Agastya Nanda -- couldn't get enough of it.
- Producer Boney Kapoor and his Maidaan director, Amit Sharma, are miffed about RRR potentially clashing with their film at the box office.
- Hrithik Roshan has shared a rare picture with ex-brother-in-law Zayed Khan, who accompanied him on a hike. See the picture here.
- Eijaz Khan has said that going through financial difficulties wasn't the only reason that he did Bigg Boss 14; he also wanted to resurrect his career.
- Designer Manish Malhotra has shared a behind-the-scenes video of Varun Dhawan getting fitted for his wedding with Natasha Dalal. Watch the video here.
- Shah Rukh Khan's wife, Gauri Khan, has shared a throwback photo from Paris, leaving Maheep Kapoor and Malaika Arora in awe.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut, in an incendiary video, has called for everybody who supported the 'so-called' farmers' protests to be jailed.