...
...
Next Story

Israel's Netanyahu orders immediate talks to ‘end war, release all hostages’ amid Gaza take over plan

Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu also said that he was also going to approve the Israeli military's to take over Gaza City and defeat Hamas.

Updated on: Aug 22, 2025, 04:58:23 IST
Advertisement

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday said he was going to approve the military's plan to take over Gaza City while at the same time ordering the resumption of immediate negotiations to free the remaining hostages.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that defeating Hamas and releasing all our hostages go hand in hand. (Reuters)
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that defeating Hamas and releasing all our hostages go hand in hand. (Reuters)

Meanwhile, the Israeli army continued to hammer the region's largest city ahead of a major planned offensive.

"I have come to approve the IDF's (military's) plans to take control of Gaza City and defeat Hamas," Netanyahu said in a video statement. He added, "At the same time, I have instructed to immediately begin negotiations for the release of all our hostages and the end of the war under conditions acceptable to Israel."

The calls for renewed negotiations come just a day after the defence ministry approved a plan to call around 60,000 reservists to help take over Gaza City, the final stronghold of the Palestinian militant group Hamas.

ALSO READ | Israel approves settlement project that could divide West Bank: ‘Palestinian state being erased’

Mediators have been awaiting an official Israeli response after Hamas accepted the latest ceasefire proposal earlier this week. The new deal comprises the staggered release of hostages, while Israel has insisted that any deal should see all the captives released at once, news agency AFP reported, citing Palestinian sources.

Israel's Gaza take over plan

Hamas on Wednesday condemned Israel's Gaza take over plan and said that it showed its blatant disregard for the efforts of the mediators to broker a ceasefire and hostage release deal.

"Today's announcement by the terrorist occupation army of the start of an operation against Gaza City and its nearly one million residents and displaced persons... demonstrates... a blatant disregard for the efforts made by the mediators," the militant group said in a statement.

The Red Cross also joined the international condemnation of Israel's move and called its actions "intolerable".

Meanwhile, the Israeli reservists said that the call-up of reservists would begin in early September, adding that the second phase of operation "Gideon's Chariots" had begun.

An air struck on the northern outskirts of Gaza City on Thursday, with a massive explosion leaving behind large plumes of smoke rising into the sky.

Strikes reportedly increased late in the afternoon as several large explosions were heard near the border.

"We are advancing with the efforts toward operations in Gaza City," military chief Eyal Zamir told troops on Thursday.

"We already have troops operating on the outskirts of the city, and more forces will join them later on," he added.

The Israeli military said that it also began informing medical personnel and air groups in northern Gaza this week to start making evacuation plans and transferring their equipment to the south.

However, the Gaza health ministry rejected the Israeli army's call on Thursday and said it would not agree to "any step that would undermine what remains of the health system after the systematic destruction carried out by the occupation authorities".

The UN humanitarian agency has warned that Israel's plan to expand military operations in Gaza City would have a "horrific humanitarian impact" on the already exhausted population.

 
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Asmita Ravi Shankar

Asmita Ravi Shankar is a Senior Content Producer at Hindustan Times, based in New Delhi. She covers breaking news and focuses on crime, geopolitics, and the domestic political landscape. She has an eye for the intricacies in criminal investigations and a keen interest in how diplomacy and complexities affect politics, within India and globally. She has written extensively about Operation Sindoor, the Iran-US conflict, elections in India, Trump tariffs and diplomacy. Asmita also engages in multimedia storytelling, using interactive elements to enhance readers' news experience and build a high-traffic news ecosystem. With nearly three years of experience in the journalism industry, Asmita has been with HT for a little over a year. She has previously worked with online news teams at Outlook India and Network18, covering a wide range of beats and building her specialisation. In HT, she has been recognised for her comprehensive reportage and her contribution to coverage of the Bihar assembly election results, having single-handedly driven over 2 million users on that day. Asmita earned a bachelor's degree in journalism from Delhi College of Arts and Commerce, the University of Delhi. She went on to earn a postgraduate diploma in integrated journalism from the Asian College of Journalism, sharpening her skills in multimedia storytelling, editing and sourcing to enrich her reportage. Additionally, Asmita holds a degree in Bharatanatyam from the Pracheen Kala Kendra. She is also a teacher of the Indian classical dance form. When not working on news, Asmita can be found dancing, binge-watching true crime docu-series, cooking and exploring various genres of music.

Get the latest World News, breaking headlines and global updates from the US, UK, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Russia and other countries. Follow major international events on Hindustan Times.
Get the latest World News, breaking headlines and global updates from the US, UK, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Russia and other countries. Follow major international events on Hindustan Times.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Hindustantimes wants to start sending you push notifications. Click allow to subscribe