Cash-strapped Cong asks MPs to help party with one month’s salary

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
  • Updated: Sep 30, 2015 10:58 IST
Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi with party chief Sonia Gandhi and former PM Manmohan Singh during CWC meeting. (HT File Photo)

The Congress has asked all its MPs to donate a month’s salary to the party to overcome its worst-ever financial crisis. Former MPs have also been sent requests for donations.

Party treasurer Motilal Vora has written to all 44 Lok Sabha and 68 Rajya Sabha MPs, and the Delhi Congress has asked its former MPs and MLAs to deposit Rs 1 lakh each by October first week. The Congress’s Delhi in-charge PC Chacko and Delhi unit chief Ajay Maken will meet former MPs and MLAs on Wednesday to discuss the matter.

Several Congress candidates had admitted to a “severe fund crunch” in the party during last year’s Lok Sabha elections.

The crisis reportedly continued through subsequent assembly elections in several states.

Party functionaries blamed the crisis on corporate houses moving away from the Congress. “Many big business houses sensed our defeat in advance and switched to the BJP,” an All India Congress Committee functionary said.

Reports of the financial crisis had prompted political circles to question the role of fund managers and the status of donations and funds from the party’s 10-year rule at the Centre and in many money-spinning states.

In February, the Congress had made it mandatory for each member to contribute Rs 250 per year to the party fund. Vora had then said the funds collected would be split with 75% going to the AICC and the remaining 25% to the state units.

Read More:

Congress members to contribute Rs 250 every year to party fund

BJP’s poll funds equal other parties’ put together

also read

When the bar has a male tilt: Gender imbalance in the judiciary and its impact on...
Show comments