Rezaul H Laskar
Rezaul H Laskar heads the Foreign Affairs desk at Hindustan Times. His interests include movies and music.
Articles by Rezaul H Laskar
PUBLISHED ON FEB 04, 2021 08:11 PM IST
The remarks by a US embassy spokesperson were the first public comments by the Biden administration on the farmers’ protest.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 04, 2021 01:42 PM IST
The remarks by a US embassy spokesperson were the first public comments by the Biden administration on the farmers’ protest that began last November
UPDATED ON FEB 04, 2021 07:01 AM IST
Though some celebrities who aren’t well known in India have made social media posts on the issue over the past few days, singer Rihanna was the most high-profile personality to take up the issue on Twitter on Tuesday.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 03, 2021 07:46 PM IST
- The Sri Lankan government gave in to pressure from labour unions, which opposed a joint venture with Indian and Japanese investors having a 49% stake in the ECT, and the cabinet decided on Monday to run the facility as a fully owned operation of the Sri Lanka Port Authority (SLPA).
UPDATED ON FEB 03, 2021 03:24 PM IST
A statement by the external affairs ministry said that criticism of the government’s handling of the agitation by foreign individuals was “neither accurate no responsible”
UPDATED ON FEB 01, 2021 09:52 PM IST
The lion’s share of the grants and loans for foreign countries—almost ₹3,005 crore—will go to Bhutan. This amount includes a grant of ₹2,124 crore, according to budget documents
UPDATED ON FEB 01, 2021 07:58 PM IST
The external affairs ministry said it is monitoring the situation closely after that Myanmar’s military had seized power in a coup against the democratically elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi
PUBLISHED ON JAN 30, 2021 04:52 PM IST
- The UAE is home to 3.42 million Indians, one of the largest concentrations of expatriates in West Asia. Experts believe the recent normalisation of ties between Israel and the UAE could open up new opportunities for trilateral cooperation with India, which has close relations with both countries.
UPDATED ON JAN 29, 2021 11:09 PM IST
- Bangladesh is perceived as a key pillar of India’s “Neighbourhood First” policy and has benefited from development cooperation worth about $9 billion.
By Rezaul H Laskar, Neeraj Chauhan, New Delhi
UPDATED ON JAN 29, 2021 11:18 PM IST
- The explosion coincides with the anniversary of India and Israel establishing full diplomatic relations on this day in 1992.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 29, 2021 01:45 PM IST
Pakistan’s policy-makers would have woken on Friday to two strong statements from the White House and the US state department expressing outrage and concern about the Supreme Court’s ruling
By Rezaul H Laskar, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
UPDATED ON JAN 29, 2021 04:15 AM IST
The supplies to Bahrain marked the first such aid to a country in West Asia, which India sees as part of its extended neighbourhood.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 28, 2021 11:16 PM IST
- Tens of thousands of Indian and Chinese troops have dug in for the harsh winter along the LAC in Ladakh sector after several rounds of diplomatic and military talks failed to lead to a breakthrough in disengagement.
UPDATED ON JAN 28, 2021 09:26 PM IST
A three-judge bench upheld the Sindh high court's order of April last year to acquit Omar Saeed Sheikh and three other men convicted of the 2002 abduction and murder of Daniel Pearl.
UPDATED ON JAN 28, 2021 09:31 PM IST
India plans to gift Oman (100,000 doses), CARICOM countries (500,000 doses), Nicaragua (200,000 doses) and Pacific Island states (200,000 doses) in the next few days.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 28, 2021 04:34 PM IST
Masud Bin Momen has arrived on a three-day visit during which he will co-chair foreign office consultations and hold discussions to prepare for PM Modi’s Dhaka visit on March 26
UPDATED ON JAN 28, 2021 02:26 PM IST
The minister’s virtual keynote address at the All India Conference of China Studies reiterated several concerns he has raised in recent months
PUBLISHED ON JAN 28, 2021 01:49 PM IST
A three-judge bench dismissed the Sindh government’s appeal against the Sindh high court’s ruling to overturn Saeed’s conviction for the 2002 beheading of Pearl
UPDATED ON JAN 27, 2021 11:53 PM IST
- In an introductory telephone call from US secretary of defence Lloyd Austin to Rajnath Singh, the two sides reaffirmed their commitment to work together to strengthen bilateral defence cooperation and the strategic partnership.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 08:32 PM IST
- The delivery of vaccines made by the Serum Institute of India will fulfil Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s commitment to his Sri Lankan counterpart Mahinda Rajapaksa during their virtual summit last September for all possible support to minimise the health and economic impacts of the pandemic.
- In Italy, unidentified persons painted the slogan “Khalistan Zindabad” on the facade of the Indian embassy in Rome and put up several pro-Khalistan flags and banners at the gate ahead of Republic Day.
- Russia is set to train the first group of Indian military specialists in operating the S-400 and the first batteries are expected by September.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 01:28 PM IST
The document described the Haqqani Network as an “organisation primarily based in North Waziristan, Pakistan” that conducts “cross-border operations into eastern Afghanistan and Kabul”
- The latest incident took place at Naku La area, which is at a height of over 5,000 metres, on January 20, when Chinese soldiers attempted to intrude into the Indian territory.
UPDATED ON JAN 25, 2021 05:51 PM IST
The January 20 incident came close on the heels of aggressive Chinese action related to Japan’s Senkaku Islands and an incursion into Taiwan’s airspace by Chinese warplanes – which experts said appeared to be signalling towards the new US administration
UPDATED ON JAN 25, 2021 01:41 PM IST
A letter sent to foreign missions by the protocol division of the external affairs ministry last week sought names and details of diplomats and family members who want to be vaccinated
PUBLISHED ON JAN 25, 2021 05:57 AM IST
The Afghan foreign ministry called on Pakistan and other international partners to press the Taliban to end violence in response to comments by Pakistan’s foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi that the US should “not reverse things” in Afghanistan.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 24, 2021 08:43 PM IST
- Over the past few weeks, Afghan government officials, civil society activists and journalists have been targeted in bombings and attacks in Kabul and other cities across Afghanistan.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 24, 2021 06:42 AM IST
The commitment, made by new US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan during a phone call to his Afghan counterpart Hamdullah Mohib, comes against the backdrop of concern in the region over a surge in violence and assassinations blamed on the Taliban.
UPDATED ON JAN 24, 2021 02:14 PM IST
India is receiving numerous requests for vaccines, both as grant assistance and commercial supplies, and these have increased since New Delhi rolled out nearly five million doses of Covishield, the AstraZeneca vaccine made by the Serum Institute of India, for seven countries in the neighbourhood.