Rezaul H Laskar
Rezaul H Laskar heads the Foreign Affairs desk at Hindustan Times. His interests include movies and music.
Articles by Rezaul H Laskar
UPDATED ON FEB 21, 2021 09:27 PM IST
- India extended a $50 million line of credit for defence projects.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 20, 2021 10:32 PM IST
- Jaishankar held talks with Maldives foreign minister Abdulla Shahid as he began a two-day visit to review bilateral ties and development cooperation.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 19, 2021 07:48 PM IST
- EU ambassador Ugo Astuto and envoys of ten EU states, including key players such as France, Italy and the Netherlands, were part of the third group of heads of foreign missions to travel to Jammu and Kashmir since January 2020.
UPDATED ON FEB 19, 2021 04:42 PM IST
The matter figured in a phone call between Morrison and Modi on Thursday, amid worldwide outrage over Facebook blacking out news and media content for its users in Australia and barring them from sharing news articles
UPDATED ON FEB 18, 2021 11:29 PM IST
- This was the third such meeting since the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue or Quad was upgraded to the ministerial level in September 2019. It was held less than five months after the last meeting in Tokyo in October, signalling the new US government's commitment to the Quad as a key formation.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 18, 2021 12:26 PM IST
Today’s will be the third meeting of the foreign ministers of the group that includes India, Australia, Japan and the US, and it is being held less than five months after the last meeting in Tokyo in October
By Mir Ehsan, Rezaul H Laskar, Srinagar, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON FEB 18, 2021 02:19 AM IST
The group includes European Union (EU) ambassador Ugo Astuto, and ambassadors of key European states such as French envoy Emmanuel Lenain, Italian envoy Vincenzo de Luca, Swedish envoy Klas Molin, Irish envoy Brendan Ward and Dutch envoy Marten van den Berg.
UPDATED ON FEB 18, 2021 11:22 AM IST
- External affairs minister S Jaishankar and his counterparts from the other members of the Quad will also discuss efforts to combat the Covid-19 pandemic, addressing global climate change and other issues of mutual interest.
By Rezaul H Laskar | Edited by Sohini Sarkar, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
UPDATED ON FEB 17, 2021 08:25 PM IST
- Sri Lanka’s Speaker Mahinda Abeywardena had told leaders of political parties last week that Khan would address the Parliament during his two-day visit beginning February 22. The foreign leader's address was scheduled for February 24.
UPDATED ON FEB 17, 2021 02:09 PM IST
Kaladan transit project in Myanmar’s Rakhine state as it is seen as crucial to improving connectivity with the landlocked northeastern states and creating conditions to facilitate the repatriation of Rohingya refugees
By Mir Ehsan, Rezaul H Laskar
UPDATED ON FEB 17, 2021 05:42 PM IST
This is the third visit of envoys from various countries that India has organised since the revocation of Article 370 in August 2019
By Rezaul H Laskar | Edited by Sparshita Saxena, New Delhi
UPDATED ON FEB 16, 2021 07:27 PM IST
- Biplab Deb's remarks came against the backdrop of efforts by India and Nepal to mend ties that were hit by a border row last year.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 16, 2021 03:41 PM IST
The other two countries have tightened Covid-29-related travel restrictions and UAE is the key transit point for Indian workers travelling to several West Asian countries
PUBLISHED ON FEB 15, 2021 08:25 PM IST
- External affairs minister S Jaishankar and Japanese ambassador Satoshi Suzuki visited Assam to review projects being implemented with Japanese support, and outlined a vision of Assam playing a crucial role in India’s efforts to link up with and benefit from new markets in Southeast Asian nations.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 12, 2021 10:01 PM IST
- Wednesday’s phone call between Modi and Trudeau is being seen as an effort by both sides to mend fences. The two leaders also discussed India’s efforts in “promoting vaccine production and supply” and working together on access to vaccines.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 12, 2021 08:58 PM IST
- Countries in India’s immediate neighbourhood were among the biggest beneficiaries, in keeping with the government’s “Neighbourhood First” policy.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 10, 2021 09:09 PM IST
- At the conclusion of its last plenary in October, the FATF had given Pakistan time till February this year to address “very serious deficiencies” in efforts to counter terror financing
PUBLISHED ON FEB 10, 2021 01:55 PM IST
In an article published on The Policy Chronicle on Wednesday, Sun Weidong also called for the two sides to “respect each other, enhance mutual trust [and] seek common ground while shelving differences
PUBLISHED ON FEB 09, 2021 05:09 PM IST
External affairs minister S Jaishankar and his Afghan counterpart Haneef Atmar signed the MoU for building Lalandar or Shatoot dam, which will meet the drinking water needs of two million people in Kabul
UPDATED ON FEB 09, 2021 01:04 PM IST
India is also taking up 150 community projects worth $80 million in Afghanistan, part of measures to take development to small communities through schemes that have a direct impact on the lives of the people
PUBLISHED ON FEB 09, 2021 01:56 AM IST
There is also growing evidence of the build-up of People’s Liberation Army (PLA) and civilian facilities in sectors other than Ladakh, such as along the disputed border in Bhutan and Arunachal Pradesh.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 08, 2021 11:59 PM IST
New Delhi There is mounting evidence that China has sped up work to build and expand military and civilian facilities in Tibet and surrounding areas that will enhance its military posture along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) amid the standoff with India in the Ladakh sector
UPDATED ON FEB 09, 2021 08:36 AM IST
The phone conversation between the two leaders was part of the formal contacts between the new US administration and India’s top leadership that began last month.
UPDATED ON FEB 08, 2021 05:37 PM IST
These new developments come on the back of China more than doubling the total number of airbases, air defence positions, and heliports near the LAC during 2017-20, as detailed in a report issued last year by Stratfor
By Rajeev Jayaswal, Rezaul H Laskar, New Delhi
UPDATED ON FEB 09, 2021 06:36 AM IST
- There have been “positive” and “definite” talks in this direction with both the UK and the EU, which are eager to resolve immediate trade and investment-related issues while working towards comprehensive FTAs, two officials said, requesting anonymity.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 05, 2021 07:45 PM IST
- The report, released this week, also highlighted the Islamic State's activities in cyberspace in South Asia, including the publishing of Voice of Hind, an online magazine in English, and efforts by the group’s members in the Maldives and Sri Lanka.
By Yashwant Raj, Rezaul H Laskar, Washington, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON FEB 05, 2021 01:08 AM IST
The carefully worded response by Joe Biden’s administration also encouraged a “dialogue” between farmers and the government to end the agitation.
By Yashwant Raj and Rezaul H Laskar, Washington/new Delhi
PUBLISHED ON FEB 04, 2021 11:35 PM IST
The US on Thursday weighed in on the ongoing farmers’ agitation at New Delhi’s borders for the first time since it began in November-end, saying peaceful protests and unhindered access to information, including the internet, were hallmarks of a “thriving democracy”, but at the same time backed reforms that would increase efficiency of Indian markets and attract more private investment
PUBLISHED ON FEB 04, 2021 08:11 PM IST
The remarks by a US embassy spokesperson were the first public comments by the Biden administration on the farmers’ protest.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 04, 2021 01:42 PM IST
The remarks by a US embassy spokesperson were the first public comments by the Biden administration on the farmers’ protest that began last November