Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 20, 2019-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

MP: 55 students taken to hospital, school evacuated after ammonia gas leak

The gas was leaked from a nearby cold storage, caused by a cylinder explosion.

bhopal Updated: Aug 23, 2017 14:28 IST
Press Trust of India
Press Trust of India
Press Trust of India, Chhindwara
School children hospitalised,Cold storage,Ammonia gas
The students complained about uneasiness and were taken to the district hospital for check-up and were later sent home.(HT File Photo/ Representative image)

At least 50 students of a private school were on Wednesday were taken to the hospital after they complained of uneasiness following inhalation of ammonia gas which leaked from a cold storage nearby, district authorities in Madhya Pradesh’s Chhindwara said.

Nearly 800 students were present on the school campus when the gas leaked from the adjoining cold storage, located on Narsingpur road, a senior official said.

District collector J K Jain ordered an inquiry into the incident.

“Fifty students were taken to the district hospital after they complained about uneasiness. They were sent home after medical check-up and being provided medication. We have evacuated the school,” Jain told after visiting the spot along with superintendent of police Gaurav Tiwari.

“We have ordered an inquiry into the incident. The police is questioning the owner of the cold storage,” the collector said.

The students had assembled on the school campus for the daily prayer when the ammonia gas leaked from a pipeline at around 10.15 am. After the leak, some students complained of uneasiness, he said.

The ammonia gas leakage caused an explosion of a cylinder in the cold storage, Jain said.

SP Tiwari said teams of fire brigade and ambulances were rushed to the spot after the incident was reported.

“The situation is now under control and we are are questioning the cold storage owner,” he said.

First Published: Aug 23, 2017 14:22 IST