Deepika Padukone wasn’t a ‘head to toe’ Sabyasachi bride, designer clarifies about actor’s sari
Designer Sabyasachi Mukherjee has issued a clarification on Instagram regarding the authenticity of the saree Deepika Padukone wore at her wedding. After claiming, on numerous occasions, that Deepika was a ‘head to toe Sabyasachi bride’, the designer has clarified that Deepika’s sari was only modified by him.
Sabyasachi’s clarification came after the editor of a fashion publication brought it to the designer’s notice that she’d spoken to the owner of the store where Deepika’s mother had purchased the original sari. “Deepika Padukone’s Kanjeevaram red gold wedding sari worn by her for the Mangalorean wedding ceremony with a Sabyasachi veil and jewellery was an Advaya sari from the House of Angadi, Bangalore” store owner Radharaman K was quoted as saying. Radharam said that the veil wasn’t a part of the original design, and was added by Sabyasachi.
“As per Konkani tradition, the bride’s saree is gifted to her by the mother for the wedding. Deepika’s wedding sari was given to us by her mother Mrs Ujjala Padukone. We have just received information that the sari was bought from Angadi Galleria, Bengaluru and we would like to them due credit for the same,” he wrote on Instagram.
Ranveer and Deepika, who tied the knot in a secret ceremony in Italy’s Lake Como on November 14 and 15, have been wearing the designer’s creations throughout the wedding festivities. They were spotted heading off to Bengaluru, where the first of their two (perhaps three) wedding receptions will be held on November 21, dressed in Sabyasachi.
Sabyasachi was earlier criticised on social media for ‘designing’ a Benarsi sari actor Anushka Sharma wore for her wedding reception, as people asked him what his contribution to the piece was. In an interview to the Telegraph, the designer said, “For her Delhi reception, Anushka wanted to wear a sari and also sindoor. So I generally suggested to her if she would want to wear a red Benarasi. For me, it was a wish fulfilment, because I have seen every Bengali bride getting married in a red Benarasi. Also, a lot of north Indian girls, especially from Uttar Pradesh, they wear a lot of Benarasi saris. What I liked about her was, it was not an inaccessible piece... a lot of middle-class and upper-middle-class girls can also wear a Benarasi sari.”
In response to the backlash he received, he said, “I got a lot of flak for Anushka’s Delhi reception outfit because a lot of people said ‘Iss main designer kya hai?’ But the comments made me smile because that is exactly what we wanted to do, we wanted her to be accessible, we did not want her to sit in an ivory tower.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sunny Leone 'found' husband Daniel Weber wearing nothing but a strategically placed hat, and decided to shoot a video of him for her Instagram followers.
- The trailer for Flight, a new film starring Mohit Chadda, has been released. Watch here.
- Shabana Azmi shared a rare throwback picture from the golden era. While there are number of well-known faces in the picture, she mentioned how she failed to recall who the Soviets were in the picture.
- A video of Shraddha grooving to Stree song Kamariya during her birthday celebrations in Maldives has appeared online.
- Ibrahim Ali Khan attended the wedding of Punjab CM Amarinder Singh's granddaughter recently, and pictures of him having a good time have surfaced online.
- Priyanka Chopra and mother Madhu Chopra were recently spotted taking a walk on a London street. The actor is in the UK for the shooting of spy series, Citadel.
- Tiger Shroff, mom Ayesha Shroff, sister Krishna Shroff and rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani came together for the actor's birthday dinner.
- Shraddha Kapoor turns 34 on Wednesday and to celebrate we are revisiting the time she told her father, Shakti Kapoor, how proud she was of him.
- Here's a video of almost-baby Tiger Shroff, taking to the stage with his father, Jackie, back in the early 1990s.
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.
- Several Twitter users pointed out that the poster for the upcoming Saina Nehwal biopic, starring Parineeti Chopra, appears to show an incorrect serve action.
- John Abraham and Disha Patani have begun working on their upcoming film, Ek Villain Returns. See pics.
- Tiger Shroff, who turned a year older on Tuesday, was spotted with rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani and his mother Ayesha Dutt on a dinner outing.