Kangana Ranaut on controversy over Judgemental Hai Kya’s name: ‘Salman Khan’s Kick was based on south Indian film Mental’
National award-winning actor Kangana Ranaut, who launched the first trailer of Judgemental Hai Kya on Tuesday has said that Salman Khan’s Kick was based on a south Indian film ‘Mental', adding that the word was banned only recently.
An Indian Express report quoted Kangana as saying, “There were several cases and threats against us. The South Indian original of Salman Khan’s Kick is called Mental. But we were informed that these words were banned just a few weeks ago.”
She was speaking at the trailer launch of her film that also stars Rajkummar Rao. “The Censor Board cooperated with us a lot. We have been given a U/A certificate. They said, ‘you’ve made a good film and we couldn’t find anything offensive in it.’ We have faith in our intentions,” she added.
She also said, “Whenever anything is of Kangana Ranaut, lots of people have several problems. If we outsiders even breathe, there are people who have a problem with that. Keeping all that in mind, even we have learnt to make our way through it and ensure that no one has to face any inconvenience, even if it means that I have to face some inconvenience in return.”
She also claimed she feels confident as audience love her acting despite the fact that she is facing constant criticism from the film fraternity. “I think the way people, I mean audience love me that empowers me. The way my fans love my acting, my personality it gives me confidence. Industry wale jaye tel lene (let the film industry go to hell)...People’s love empowers me. I am really humbled,” said Kangana while talking about the criticism she faced from the film industry.
The actor was accompanied by screenplay writer of the film Kanika Dhillon, director Prakash Kovelamudi among others. Due to heavy rain, lead actor Rajkummar Rao could not attend the event. According to Kangana, the story of Judgmental Hai Kya is not a sob story of a female protagonist who is suffering from a mental condition. “I think the revolution in the mainstream cinema came from Tanu Weds Manu, wherein a heroine is shown in a real way. Tanu knows how to play around with boys but she is not a vamp,” said Kangana.
“In the same way, Bobby, in this film, is going through mental illness but she is not sitting in a corner and sobbing about it,” she added. Talking about Kangana’s character in the film, Kanika Dhillon said, “honestly, because of Kangana’s outspoken nature, I do not think there is any other actress in the industry that could have pulled off the character the way she did.”
Kangana noted, “There was a phase in my life when people openly tried to shame me and said that I was mad, I was on medication. Even though I wasn’t, I replied to them: “so what?” I would not have felt ashamed even if I were on medication. However, when Kanika narrated the script to me, I felt more compassionate towards the character because the society also calls “Bobby” a mad girl. it became more relatable for me. Honestly, I am ok with things that people say,” said the Queen actor.
The film features Rajkummar Rao, Brijendra Kala, Jimmy Shergill, Amyra Dastur among others. Judgemental Hai Kya is set to release on July 26.
(With IANS inputs)
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.
- Aamir Khan and Elli AvrRam burn up the dance floor in the first teaser for their song, Har Funn Maula. Watch it here.
- Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui's brother Shamas has reacted to news of that Nawaz and his wife, Aaliya, are willing to reconcile. Aaliya had accused Shamas of physical abuse.
- Kriti Sanon slipped and almost fell before a posing session for the paparazzi on Monday. Watch the video here.
- Janhvi Kapoor was spotted at the Mumbai airport over the weekend. During her exit from the airport, her staff member stopped a fan from taking a picture with the actor. Janhvi tackled the situation calmly.
- Boney Kapoor said that he was fortunate to have 'some of the strongest women in the world' in his life -- late wife Sridevi, and daughters Janhvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor.
- Despite cancelling divorce proceedings, Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife, Aaliya, has said that they aren't yet living with each other.
- Shilpa Shetty's husband Raj Kundra shared a funny and cute video of the two of them to celebrate his wife and an 'amazing role model'.