OTT gave me the chance to be in the middle of the frame. Earlier, I would be on the side: Chandan Roy Sanyal
“People loved my work and I got recognition for my performances. I have not had a year like this. But due to the kind of year 2020 was, I am ashamed to say bahut maze aaye iss saal,” says Chandan Roy Sanyal.
He credits the social media for multiplication of his popularity. The actor admits that when his other projects released earlier, people would say it’s good but the kind of love he got this year was also due to social media trends. “Aashram became a mass loved project. I have had people from all over the world getting in touch for the show. They could relate to the story and director Prakash Jha is known for his social political thrillers,” he says.
Sanyal is on a roll. The actor who rose to fame with filmmaker Vishal Bhardwaj’s Kaminey (2009), also made news for his performances in web series Parchhayee (2019), Bhram (2019) and Kaali. He reveals that this acclaim has translated in a lot of work. “I have been reading some interesting scripts. In fact, I have 10-15 shows in the offing but it’s humanly not possible to do all. I will pick good stuff. I don’t want to be swayed by adulation. This is not going to last forever. Tomorrow, some other project will take the nation by storm. I don’t want to overeat and have indigestion in entertainment (laughs),” he says.
He created a show called In Between, with a bunch of theatre actors during the lockdown which is one shot live film. They have done three shows last month and he is glad with the response. “I am trying to maintain a balance with the projects I choose -from the commercial ones like Aashram and other projects that I do. Talks are on for a few biggies in 2021 and I am glad that this year, OTT gave me the chance to be in the middle of the frame. Earlier, I would be on the side. That is exciting for me. I am looking forward,” he concludes.
Interact with author on Twitter/@iamkav
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Raveena Tandon took to her Instagram to show off daughter Rasha Thadani's achievement, as she teenager earned her blackbelt in Taekwondo. See her post here.
- Speaking at a comedy show, Farah Khan says her friends often 'put her to work' as soon as she enters parties, asking her to render a few dance steps.
- Richa Chadha has said that she has found an equal partner in boyfriend Ali Fazal who cooks well, works out with her and is progressive.
- Anurag Kashyap's daughter Aaliyah received support from her Insta-fam after she wrote about receiving hate comments for a recent post, in which she shared pictures of herself in lingerie.
Pranutan: What can I do if people want to believe in masala stories about nepotism, and not the truth
Anil Kapoor: Earlier it was like test match, today it’s IPL, the field is exciting for everyone in showbiz
- Janhvi Kapoor, who will be seen next in Roohi, said that viewers are not 'obligated' to love her and the onus is on her to give them a reason to. She added that she is working hard to win everyone over.
- Priyanka Chopra and her pet dog Diana are soaking up the sun in London, where the actor is shooting for the Amazon series Citadel, in which she plays a spy.
- Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Bhatt were clicked at an ad shoot with director Gauri Shinde. Check out some behind-the-scenes photos from the shoot here.
- Salman Khan said he feels 'awkward' and 'embarrassed' but at the same time, 'delighted' and 'honoured', to have his painting displayed alongside legends at an art show.
- Dr. Shriram Nene prepared a homemade pizza for Madhuri Dixit. As he shared a picture of it on Instagram, many of their fans showered compliments.