Priyanka Chopra on Balrampur gang-rape: ‘Each of us must hang our heads in shame that we have failed our women collectively’
A day after expressing frustration and anger over the Hathras gang-rape, actor Priyanka Chopra has now reacted to the Balrampur gang-rape. The actor said that all of us should hang our heads in shame.
In a note shared on her Instagram Stories, Priyanka wrote, “More horrific news from #Balrampur. Each rape is not just another number. There is a family behind it which has to live with the horror forever. Each of us must live with these unabated acts of brutality and hang our heads in shame that we have failed our women. Collectively.”
She had earlier penned a heart-wrenching note on the Hathras gang-rape. It read, “The disrespect and abuse, The frustration and anger, The sadness and helplessness, These emotions replay on loop. All they cry out is inhuman, barbaric Why? Again and again and again... Always the women Always the young girls Rape after rape after rape... We cry, they cry and yet, no one hears the screams. Why the hate? Are the parents raising boys listening? Is the law mute to the screams? How many more Nirbhayas? How many more years? #Hathras.”
Priyanka is gearing up for the launch of her memoir, Unfinished. She took to Twitter on Friday and teased the book with a small video. It opens with glimpses of Priyanka’s childhood, then her time in college, her Miss World title win, wedding with American singer Nick Jonas, and her time with children as a UNICEF ambassador. A reel of her various film posters is also played.
The video then shows her talking on various platforms about her journey and success. She had once talked about her desire to leave behind a legacy. She had also said that she wanted to break stereotypes and go where no man or woman had ever gone before.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Here's a video of almost-baby Tiger Shroff, taking to the stage with his father, Jackie, back in the early 1990s.
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.
- Several Twitter users pointed out that the poster for the upcoming Saina Nehwal biopic, starring Parineeti Chopra, appears to show an incorrect serve action.
- John Abraham and Disha Patani have begun working on their upcoming film, Ek Villain Returns. See pics.
- Tiger Shroff, who turned a year older on Tuesday, was spotted with rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani and his mother Ayesha Dutt on a dinner outing.
- Ankita Lokhande has shared several pictures and videos from a house party she had with Rashami Desai on Monday.
- Shaza Morani and Priyaank Sharma's Hindu wedding ceremony has been postponed, in light of the increase in Covid-19 cases in Maharashtra. The couple and their families and friends are currently in the Maldives.
- Divya Dutta has expressed her displeasure at being labeled as a supporting actor, insisting she loves playing all kinds of roles.
- Actor Parineeti Chopra's long-awaited biopic of badminton ace Saina Nehwal has been given a release date. Watch the first teaser here.
- Actor Ileana D'Cruz was asked during an Instagram Ask Me Anything session if she's ever had any cosmetic surgeries done. Here's what she said.
- Kangana Ranaut says that a new FIR has been registered against her, this time over her tweets on farmers agitation against the farm bills.
- Tara Sutaria shared the first poster of her upcoming movie Tadap. Her boyfriend Aadar Jain shared the poster on his Instagram Stories and expressed his excitement.