Why not national anthem in bars and clubs: Bollywood director Ram Gopal Varma
Bollywood filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma has made some strong and disparaging comments against the Supreme Court judgement making it mandatory for all cinema theatres to play national anthem before beginning of every film show. He took to Twitter on Thursday to express his views.
In a series of tweets, Varma came down heavily on the Supreme Court verdict and sought to know why national anthem should not be compulsorily played in all night clubs before drinking and dancing begins and not just in cinema theatres.
“Under enforced #NationalAnthem, shouldn’t every TV programme and TV serial episode and radio programmes also be playing it?” Varma asked. “Why #NationalAnthem should be restricted to only cinema halls? Why shouldn’t every shop ask customer to see a video of it b4 entering shop? (sic)” he tweeted.
The Bollywood director wondered whether singing of national anthem would be made compulsory in temples, churches and mosques before prayers begin. He also sarcastically suggested that like lead actor giving anti-tobacco message, the lead characters of film compulsorily sing national anthem twice - before and after interval.
Stating that 99 per cent of the Indians would fail, if there is an examination conducted on whether they understand the meaning of the national anthem, Varma said national anthem should have been in all languages so that all Indians would understand it.
In other tweets laced with sarcasm, Varma said: “Shouldn’t parents and children enforce each other to sing #NationalAnthem as soon as they get up from their bed before they begin their day? Shouldn’t #NationalAnthem be printed on every newspaper everyday on its front page before we start reading the news from 2nd page onwards? Should #NationalAnthem be played even before every news report on TV that criticises our great nation’s great leader’s policies?”
The filmmaker said respect has to be felt and if it is enforced it will be fake, which would be more disrespectful to the national anthem.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Filmmaker-actor Divya Khosla Kumar has spoken about her journey, and how she didn't want to join the film industry when she first moved to Mumbai.
- Actor Rajkummar Rao isn't over his obsession with Shah Rukh Khan. He has often spoken about his love for SRK.
- As actors Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan prepare to move into their house, their designer gave an insight into all the amenities the new home will have.
- Did you know that Pranutan Bahl and Kajol are related? Here's what the young actor has to say about her equation with 'Kajol bua'.
- Taimur Ali Khan was fascinated by a cow outside his Fortune Heights residence. He folded his hands and enjoyed its owner playing film songs on his wind instrument.
- Actor Salman Khan prepared some raw onion pickle in a new video shared by his 'sister', Bina Kak. Watch video here.