12-year-old rape victim offers baby for adoption

The 12-year-old rape victim, who delivered a baby at PGIMER, Chandigarh last week, wants to offer her baby for adoption.
Updated on May 28, 2015 11:38 PM IST
Copy Link
None | By, Chandigarh

The 12-year-old rape victim, who delivered a baby at PGIMER, Chandigarh last week, wants to offer her baby for adoption.


On an application moved by Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) now, the Punjab and Haryana high court has asked Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA), a government of India agency to explore and expedite the adoption of child born as a consequence of non-consensual relationship. CARA’s response has been sought by Friday (May 29).

The minor rape victim from Haryana was under the supervision of PGIMER doctors on high court directions after her mother’s petition for termination of pregnancy was turned down by the high court on medical grounds on April 8.

The high court was told about the desire of the victim by PGIMER through an application.

The court has allowed the PGMIER to discharge the victim and directed the authorities that newborn should remain under the care and protection of hospital authorities. The high court has also ordered in chamber proceedings in the case.

The family came to know of the pregnancy on February 19, following which an FIR was registered in Karnal and the family approached the local health authorities to abort the child. As the authorities declined to carry out the abortion, stating that the girl was 28-30 weeks pregnant, the girl’s mother had on March 10 approached the high court. But her prayer was declined on medical grounds. On HC’s direction the girl was admitted at PGIMER.

The girl, a Class-7 student, was repeatedly raped by a boy known to the family. As the girl was threatened by him with dire consequences, she did not disclose it to anybody. She was medically examined in February after her mother got suspicious.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Representational image.

    Flight operations disrupted in Mangaluru due to heavy rains. Details here 

    MIA sources here said both the flights landed in Bengaluru and took off for Mangaluru later. The flight from Dubai was scheduled to land in Mangaluru at 4.40 am, but was diverted to Bengaluru and landed in Mangaluru only at 8.49 am. The flight from Dammam was scheduled to land in Mangaluru at 5.05 am. The Bahrain-Kannur-Mangaluru plane will also be delayed, the sources said. The Mangaluru to Dubai flight was also delayed.

  • The officers attached to the Nehru Nagar police station in Kurla are wading through knee-deep water which has entered the premises on Tuesday (HT Photo)

    Cops wade through knee-deep water inside police station

    Mumbai: The men in uniform, who are expected to come to the rescue of people stuck in rain, are themselves struggling to get work done at this police station. The officers attached to the Nehru Nagar police station in Kurla are wading through knee-deep water which has entered the premises on Tuesday. Another constable echoed a similar opinion. Vinoba Bhave Nagar police station in Kurla also witnessed waterlogging on Tuesday.

  • Dombivli Manpada police making enquiries at the spot where a six-year-old boy fell in a lift shaft filled with water and was found dead on Tuesday. (PRAMOD TAMBE/HT PHOTO)

    Six-year-old boy dead after falling in lift shaft filled with water in Dombivli

    A six-year-old boy died after falling into a six-foot deep lift shaft filled with water at an under-construction building in Dombivli on Tuesday afternoon. The boy, Vedant Jadhav, was seen playing near the accident site and the boy's family began looking for him when he did not return. Vedant was a resident of Vighnaharta building in Sangarli village of Dombivli. His grandparents took care of him while his father worked as a sanitation worker.

  • While 383 personnel used the eatery service at a temporary bus station during the Mahakumbh, the eatery bill showed bills of 1,164 personnel. (File Photo)

    Uttarakhand: Irregularities in Mahakumbh food bills, transport corp orders probe

    The Uttarakhand Transport Corporation has ordered a probe after finding irregularities in the food bills of bus drivers and conductors at a temporary bus station set up during the Mahakumbh, officials said on Tuesday. The managing director of the Uttarakhand Transport Corporation, Rohit Meena has taken cognizance of the matter directing subordinate officials to look into the matter. Later a payment was done for 1,164 people for an amount of ₹1.09 lakh.

  • Fadnavis claimed that it was BJP national chief JP Nadda who first tried to convince him to join the ministry (HT Photo)

    BJP could sense growing discontent among Sena MLAs: Fadnavis

    NAGPUR The newly-inducted deputy chief minister of Maharashtra Devendra Fadnavis said that Fadnavis joined the Eknath Shinde-led government as the 'number two' to honour the wishes of his party (Bharatiya Janata Party). Fadnavis claimed that it was BJP national chief JP Nadda who first tried to convince him to join the ministry. When prime minister Narendra Modi himself called him, as a “party loyalist, I accepted the offer.”

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Tuesday, July 05, 2022