Panjab University declares BCom merit list, cut off increases
Panjab University (PU) declared the tentative merit list for admissions to the BCom-1 course in various PU affiliated colleges on Thursday. The cut off in the general category has witnesses an increase of 0.9% this year, going from last year's 113.8% to 114.7% this time.chandigarh Updated: Jun 25, 2015 22:11 IST
Panjab University (PU) declared the tentative merit list for admissions to the BCom-1 course in various PU affiliated colleges on Thursday. The cut off in the general category has witnesses an increase of 0.9% this year, going from last year's 113.8% to 114.7% this time.
The tentative merit list, having names of 3,000 eligible candidates is on display on the BCom-1admission website bcomadmissions.puchd.ac.in/index.php The merit list was prepared after taking into account the percentage scored by the candidates in Class 12 and then adding four percentage points each for every commerce stream subject the candidate had.
Explaining the process, the co-ordinator for centralised admissions to BCom Prof Sanjay Kaushik, said "If someone has studied mathematics then four extra percentage points will added to his score. For example, if a student has scored 90 % marks in Class 12th in the commerce stream with mathematics then his percentage will be 106 %."
Any doubts or objections with respect to the merit list can be filed at firstname.lastname@example.org till June 26. The final merit list and counselling schedule would be announced on June 29.
Over 7,200 students had applied for admissions to the course. There are 2,310 seats for BCom-1 in Chandigarh out of which 85% seats are reserved for those who passed have passed Class 12 from Chandigarh and the remaining 15% are open for the general pool.
How cut-off is calculated
*First, candidate's Class 12 percentage is taken into account, irrespective of which stream you studied
*Then, if the candidate was in the commerce stream, then four additional percentage points per subject are awarded his/her Class 12 score.
*For instance, if a candidate scored 90%, he/she will get four percentage points each for the three commerce stream subjects - business management, book-keeping (accounts) and economics. This would take the total to 102%.
*If the candidate also had mathematics as an additional subject, then he/she will get four more percentage points, making his/her percentage 106%.