Ring-stuffed vada gives doc food for thought
A city-based gastroenterologist, who worked to retrieve foreign bodies from patients’ abdomen his entire career, was almost at the verge of becoming a patient himself, when a south Indian food joint served him sambar vada in which a metal ring was ‘stuffed’.chandigarh Updated: May 22, 2015 14:08 IST
A city-based gastroenterologist, who worked to retrieve foreign bodies from patients’ abdomen his entire career, was almost at the verge of becoming a patient himself, when a south Indian food joint served him sambar vada in which a metal ring was ‘stuffed’.
Fortunately, his knife hit the ring just before he was about to gulp it down.
Private gastroenterologist Dr Sandeep Dhavan had ordered home delivery of dinner from Shri Rathnam in Sector 17 on Tuesday. Apart from other items, his family had ordered sambar vada, too. When the doctor started having sambar vada, his knife hit a hard object. He found that it was a metallic ring.
“When I told about the same to the restaurant manager over phone, two representatives of the food joint reached his home and said the ring must be of one of the workers,” said Dhavan.
“They said it must have got mixed with the food while preparing it. They apologised and offered a compromise, too, which I refused,” Dhavan added.
Dhavan said it was unfortunate that a well-reputed foodchain was not maintaining cleanliness. “It was not just about spoiling the dinner, but being a doctor, I know anything could have happened. The ring could have damaged my teeth or even could have proven fatal,” he said.
Irony is that some time back, Dhavan himself shared weird items with the media, which he had retrieved from his patients’ abdomen with his endoscopic procedures. “I could have easily become one of the victims,” he added. He said he would make a complaint to the local Food and Drug Authority as well.
Manager of the food joint Srinivasan confirmed the last night’s incident, saying it was in his knowledge. “We will be careful and maintain cleanliness in the kitchen and take proper precautions that such incidents do not happen,” he said.
First Published: May 22, 2015 11:19 IST