Cricket fraternity reacts as Bangladesh stun four-time champions India to win historic U19 World Cup
Bangladesh stunned four-time World Champions India to clinch their maiden U19 World Cup title on Sunday in Potchefstroom. The side led by skipper Akbar Ali shocked India in the final by three wickets to win the tournament. In the low-scoring finale between the two teams, Bangladesh elected to bowl after winning the toss and then choked India to a low total of 177 in 47.2 overs. In reply, Bangladesh captain Ali played a captain’s knock, scoring 43 off 74 balls to help his side chase down the revised target of 170/1 in 42.1 under Duckworth-Lewis method.
The match was interrupted due to rain, but by the time, Bangladesh were already in a winning position. Once play resumed after rain, target was revised to 170 and with seven runs to get and three wickets in hand, it became a cakewalk for the ‘Tiger Cubs’ as they scripted a golden chapter in their country’s cricket history. Cricket fraternity was quick to praise the Bangladesh team for their spirited efforts. Here is how the twitterati reacted:
After the match, Bangaldesh captain Akbar Ali said: “When I entered, we needed a partnership. I told my partner that and we shouldn’t lose a wicket. The planning was simple. We knew that India won’t let it easy, they are a challenging side. We knew it would be a difficult chase. I am a person who wants to keep things simple. In the first half, I didn’t get much chance. So wanted to prove a point.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sundar and Thakur’s knocks were lauded by the entire cricketing fraternity with former Australia all-rounder Tom Moody highly impressed with their rearguard.
- India vs Australia: Each wicket is special for Hazlewood but the fast bowler is highly content with one dismissal in particular.
- India vs Australia: Shardul Thakur danced down the wicket to Nathan Lyon and dispatched the off-spinner over the ropes.
- India vs Australia: Stronger teams have toured Australia, few as brave as this bunch.
- India vs Australia: Shardul Thakur's innings, on expected lines, seemingly got under the skin of Australia, with the fast bowler explaining that the opposition reacted by chirping away a few words at him.