New Zealand postpone Zimbabwe tour for a year
New Zealand's visit to Zimbabwe in July has been postponed until June 2010 because of Prime Minister John Key's opposition to the tour.Updated: Feb 25, 2009 11:06 IST
New Zealand's visit to Zimbabwe in July has been postponed until June 2010 because of Prime Minister John Key's opposition to the tour.
New Zealand Cricket (NZC) chief executive Justin Vaughan said the two boards agreed at an International Cricket Council (ICC) meeting in Johannesburg to postpone the three one-day matches due to the NZ government's lack of support.
"This is a pragmatic solution that allows the situation in Zimbabwe to be monitored over the next year," Vaughan said in a statement.
"Given Zimbabwe remains a full member of ICC we have continuing obligations to play them on a reciprocal basis, therefore this agreement is an acceptable outcome."
The centre-right National-led government, like the Labour-led administration it ousted last year, previously said it did not favour the tour to Zimbabwe.
"I'm pretty reluctant for the Black Caps to travel," Key told Television New Zealand on Monday. "There are very real, genuine security risks for our players."
Zimbabwe has agreed to skip this year's Twenty20 World Cup in England to end a deadlock over demands for its suspension from international cricket because of Robert Mugabe's government.
The troubled African nation has not played tests since January 2006 after the team were left depleted following disputes between senior players and the administration.
First Published: Feb 25, 2009 11:04 IST