Who said what: Unravelling the Pietersen-Strauss saga
Kevin Pietersen, 34, England's leading all-time run-scorer across all formats, was ditched last year following the team's 5-0 Ashes thrashing in Australia.cricket Updated: May 13, 2015 17:43 IST
Kevin Pietersen, 34, England's leading all-time run-scorer across all formats, was ditched last year following the team's 5-0 Ashes thrashing in Australia.
But the South Africa-born batsman was given hope of an international recall when new England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chairman Colin Graves said there could be a way back if he scored enough runs in county cricket.
Yet just hours after he made his maiden first-class triple century for Surrey on Monday, Pietersen was told by Andrew Strauss, the ECB's new director of cricket, he would not be selected by England this season -- and in practice that may well mean the end of Pietersen's international career.
Andrew Strauss' statement
Pietersen has been a phenomenal for England over a long period of time and he should be very proud of that record. But over a period of months and years, the trust between himself and the ECB has eroded. There’s a massive trust issue between Kevin and I. Because of that, we’ve told him it’s not in the best short-term interests of the side for him to be in the team.
I’ve let him know he’s not part of our plans for the future, and I can’t give him any guarantees beyond that, but he’s not banned from the side, no one knows what’s going to happen in the future.
Former players react
Pietersen's first test captain was one of the earliest to react to this debacle.
Just pick your best available players and let's stop over complicating sport.... It's a game of Cricket .. Nothing more Nothing less...— Michael Vaughan (@MichaelVaughan) May 11, 2015
Former South African Test captain Graeme Smith did not mince any words and put out a tweet that made #StrassLogic trend on Twitter
I see the head boy is making English cricket the laughing stock again! #StraussLogic— Graeme Smith (@GraemeSmith49) May 12, 2015
Pietersen's Surrey team mate and former Lankan Test Captain Sangakkara also chimed in
Former England allrounder Andrew Flintoff joined the chorus calling for Pietersen's return.
I have no agenda in this , I thought If @KP24 was to play again he should fight his way back in which he has , as for personality he can ..— andrew flintoff (@flintoff11) May 12, 2015
Be high maintenance then again so was I , but you do grow up and change . I wish I had the chance to play in my mid 30's reckon I'd have...— andrew flintoff (@flintoff11) May 12, 2015
Have been better ! Like all other fans I'm intrigued to know the reasons building for the future is lame . Only then will this be put to bed— andrew flintoff (@flintoff11) May 12, 2015
Kevin Pietersen's response on 'The Telegraph'
I have done everything I can. Was I lied to by the chairman? Only he can answer that. Tom Harrison (ECB cheif executive) and Andrew Strauss have said today that all three of them are united in this decision, so I don't know what to think.
What has happened since Colin (ECB Chairman) told me if I scored county runs I would be available for selection?
I expressed my fear to Tom last week when he asked for the meeting that I did not want to sit in a room and be told that I was not going to be picked for England again. Tom said: 'No, no, no you have had one of England's greatest careers and we need to work together.' So, of course, I agreed to the meeting.
I asked: Who doesn't trust me? You have a new chairman, a new CEO, we have spent the last 10 minutes sorting out our differences like adults. Let's go through the batting order. I rattled off names. He could not give me any names. He said it is a broader thing and not just the players.
It is an absolute disgrace if that is their mindset. Is this the reason Strauss got that job, because he would accept those conditions? Michael Vaughan and Alec Stewart certainly would not.
First Published: May 13, 2015 11:25 IST