Windies fast bowler Tino Best joins ICL
Without a Windies Cricket Board contract and ignored by national selectors since May 2006, Best said he signed up with the ICL as he needed money to take care of his family.Updated: Feb 16, 2008 19:20 IST
Out of favour West Indies fast bowler Tino Best became the latest cricketer to join the rebel Indian Cricket League by signing a three-year contract.
Without a Windies Cricket Board contract and ignored by national selectors since May 2006, Best said he signed up with the ICL as he needed money to take care of his family.
"It's a little sad ... It is about securing myself and my family," Best was quoted as saying by 'The Nation'.
"There is no security with the West Indies team. If the West Indies had me on a contract, I wouldn't even think about going. It is time that I start looking out for myself," said the 26-year-old who took 26 wickets from 12 Tests between 2003-05.
"If West Indies don't give me that opportunity and if a privately-owned firm has a league or a tournament and they invited me to play, obviously I'm going to go," he added.
The ICL does not enjoy the blessings of the ICC or any member board but Best was hopeful of continuing to play for Barbados.
"(Brian) Lara and (Mervyn) Dillon are signed to the league. They are still playing first-class cricket for Trinidad. I don't feel it should be a problem to play for my country. Internationally, I might not be in consideration but I can still represent Barbados to continue my dominance in regional cricket."
Former West Indies captain Lara and fellow Trinidadian Dillon played in the last edition of ICL in November-December last year.