Javed Akhtar: I never ask personal questions to my kids
“When people ask me to cut a cake, I feel awkward as I hadn’t as a kid,” shares veteran writer-lyricist Javed Akhtar, who turns 76 today. “Birthday ek rasm hai. Mohobbat hai, toh dost aa jaate hain. If you are born in a well-to-do family where parents enjoy celebrating birthdays, you feel different but humne toh dekha nahin tha. Poor kids don’t celebrate birthdays and I started doing so only after growing up,” he adds. With his wife-actor Shabana Azmi shooting in England, he says there won’t be a party. “I won’t be doing anything and I doubt anyone will turn up, especially due to Covid,” he says.
In his trademark humour, he calls the last year, the year that never was. The senior writer admits that in the 36 years of marriage, the couple never spent so much time together as they did last year. He shares, “Both of us are compulsive travellers and usually away from home, so it was pleasant to stay in a house together for over three months. Shabana and I enjoyed our Khandala home, which we would visit for weekends, only on occasions. We saw many movies, read a lot and introspected too. We got time to be with ourselves. Of course, we are privileged so there was no trouble but there were many who had a tough time in 2020.”
Last year, there were rumours of his son Farhan Akhtar and Shibani Dandekar’s plan to tie the knot after being together for three years. Has he spoken to Farhan about marriage or the rumours? “I believe that once kids become adults, they have a right to their privacy and asking them personal questions is a no-no. If they offer personal information, you should listen but never probe or enquire or question them. It is not a decent thing. If my kids want to share about their personal lives with me, I would be most happy to listen but I never probe or ask personal questions to my kids,” he signs off.
Interact with author on Twitter/@iamkav
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sisters Malaika Arora and Amrita Arora posted pictures of their mom to wish her on her birthday and close friend Karisma Kapoor was among the first ones to comment.
- Akshay Kumar presented the first poster of Ahan Shetty's debut film, Tadap. Ahan is the son of actor Suniel Shetty. The film also stars Tara Sutaria. See the poster here.
- John Abraham posed for a slightly different picture on Tuesday. He was seen posing with nothing but a pillow as he waited for his clothes on film sets.
- Bipasha Basu has shared Bipapictures of herself and a funny video of her husband Karan Singh Grover from their Maldives vacation. Check them out here.
- Happy birthday Tiger Shroff: If you thought the Baaghi's star's features were hard to define and did not fit into the more desi definition of good looks, then you must read about his family background.
- Deepika Padukone, in her new Instagram post, talked about her daily routine. She also revealed whether she '(plans) a lot'. Watch the video here.
- Arshi Khan has said that Salman Khan introduced her to Iulia Vantur at the Bigg Boss 14 after-party, and said that he wants her to learn Urdu.
- Ankita Lokhande, in an Instagram live, talked about going through depression but not opening up about it. She said that she did not have anyone to support her except her family and some fans.