R Madhavan: Not the guy known for fashion sense
After 2020, 2021 again seems to be a busy year for R Madhavan. Two of his films, one each in Telugu and Tamil released directly on OTT platforms in 2020, and Maara was his latest OTT release this year.
Recently, he was in the Capital, shooting for his next web project. The actor tells us, “I was shooting an original series for two months. I was very apprehensive, 250 families are connected with this project, their livelihood is connected, I feel personally responsible. I didn’t step out of my room even once, and we finished 95 percent of the shoot. Fingers crossed on the rest of the shoot. I think as artists everybody in this particular series took so much responsibility, we never took anything for granted.”
Clearly, the web features big on his action plan. In fact, the show Breathe which he headlined was the first original web show from India, way back in 2018.
“I always knew the potential of OTT and I was definitely a pioneer who jumped into it. I think because of the Covid situation, it has become much larger than we ever expected it to be. Many platforms are cropping up, and thankfully become a great revenue earner not just for actors but everyone involved in the industry- technicians, junior artists, etc. Unfortunately categories like dancers are still not much in demand (on OTT),” says Madhavan.
The 50-year-old hasn’t been seen in a full-fledged role in Hindi films, in over five years now. What’s keeping him away? “Rocketry: The Nambi Effect, my trilingual film has consumed my entire time from Saala Khadoos till now. I did Breathe in between, and Vikram Vedha apart from that. Rocketry has been all consuming though, and I am hoping that it’s worth the wait. I can’t wait to show it to the world,” he gushes.
Madhavan, unless a project is nearing a release, is nowhere to be seen, and practically vanishes. Social media updates too aren’t frequent. He says he has never been otherwise. “I have never been the kind of guy known for my fashion sense or being in news for unqualified remarks that I make. So I prefer to be known for my work. I guess it’s served me well in terms of respect and I am happy with the positioning that it has got me,” he quips.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Salman Khan reportedly shot for Shah Rukh Khan's Pathan on Thursday. See a picture from the set here.
- Rakhi Sawant visited her ailing mother at hospital, accompanied by Kashmera Shah and Sambhavna Seth, who assured 'emotional and financial support' for her.
- Yashraj Mukhate, the memelord musician behind viral tracks such as Rasode Mein Kaun Tha and Pawri Hori Hai, has spoken about his journey.
- On Shahid Kapoor's 40th birthday, his former step-father Rajesh Khattar recalled the 'normal family' dynamic they shared as Shahid was growing up.
- A faction of late actor Sushant Singh Rajput's fans called for a boycott of the film Chehre, said to feature his girlfriend Rhea Chakraborty. Rhea was removed from the promotional materials of the film.
- Sunny Leone, her daughter Nisha and sons Asher and Noah touched down in Mumbai after their trip to Kerala. They were welcomed by Daniel Weber.
Indian adaptation underway for Spanish thriller The Cleaning Lady, Siddharth Kumar Tewary reveals details
- Actor Saif Ali Khan once said that he should've added a disclaimer to his son Taimur's name, after him and his wife, Kareena Kapoor, were criticised for picking that name.
- Bipasha Basu and Karan Singh Grover were in Maldives for a brief holiday and shared lots of pictures from the island nation. Check out their latest pictures here.
- As Shahid Kapoor turns 40, his wife Mira Rajput took to Instagram and penned a sweet birthday note for the actor.
- Actor Zareen Khan has spoken about how being compared unfavourably to Katrina Kaif early in her career affected her.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut in a new tweet called a group of youths 'primitive monkeys' for getting answers on history and current affairs wrong.