Tanuj Virwani thought he was ‘unemployable’ after his initial films flopped: ‘Nobody wanted to cast me’
- Tanuj Virwani said that he felt 'unemployable' after his initial films did not do well, as no one wanted to cast him. The success of Inside Edge turned things around for him.
Actor Tanuj Virwani, the son of veteran actor Rati Agnihotri, felt that he was ‘unemployable’ after his initial films - Luv U Soniyo, Purani Jeans and One Night Stand - did not perform at the box office. He said that no one wanted to cast him in any projects after these failures.
Tanuj, who expected to arrive in Bollywood ‘with a bang’, could not make a mark with his first few films. However, he bounced back with the Amazon series Inside Edge, in which he plays hot-headed star cricketer Vayu Raghavan. The popular show has been renewed for a third season.
Remembering his ‘fascinating’ journey in the entertainment industry, Tanuj told The Times of India, “When I look back at my first decade as an actor, it has been quite a roller-coaster ride. I thought I would arrive in the industry with a bang, but instead, I landed with a thud because my first few films were a disaster.”
“I really felt like I was unemployable because nobody wanted to cast me. When Inside Edge happened, web series wasn't mainstream like it is now. But I made the best of the opportunities presented to me,” he added.
Earlier, in an interview with Hindustan Times, Tanuj talked about how the people who called him ‘box office poison’ after his flops praised him after Inside Edge became a success. “It’s hypocrisy to another level. The same people who raise you, pull you down and raise you back again,” he said, adding that he has learnt to ‘detach’ and let neither the praise nor the criticism get to him.
Last year, during the lockdown, Tanuj wrote, directed and produced a short film titled Anisht. He has a number of web series in the pipeline, including 7th Sense, Line of Fire, and Tandoor, which marks the digital debut of actor Rashami Desai.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kangana Ranaut, who earlier accused Vikas Bahl of inappropriate behaviour, thanked him for turning her career around with Queen. She said that he 'played a very significant role' in shaping her destiny.
- Shahid Kapoor aced the Centre of Gravity challenge, much to the surprise of his wife Mira Rajput, who called him a 'smooth operator'. Watch the video here.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife Aaliya has reaffirmed her wish to reconcile with the actor in a new interview, adding that she is ready to mend her ties with his brother Shamas.
- Rhea Kapoor dedicated an adorable Instagram post to her boyfriend Karan Boolani. She shared pictures of her showering him with kisses. See his reply here.
- Taimur Ali Khan was photographed in Mumbai on Sunday. The star kid was seen out with his father Saif Ali Khan and half-sister Sara Ali Khan.
- Sara Ali Khan shared two new pictures from brother Ibrahim's birthday party. More pictures were shared by one of Ibrahim's friends.
- Anupam Kher, who turned a year older on Sunday, shared a video from his birthday 'pawri' with his 'best friends'. Watch it here.
- Actor Vidya Balan has recalled feeling worried about how her family would react to The Dirty Picture. She revealed her mother and father's immediate reaction to the film.
- Twinkle Khanna, using an adorable photo of daughter Nitara kissing a puppy, urged everyone to wear their masks correctly instead of using them as 'chin straps'.
- Janhvi Kapoor celebrated her 24th birthday on Saturday, with the team of Good Luck Jerry. See inside pictures and videos from the celebrations here.